Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Any artists want a battle?

Discussion in 'Battle Forum' started by vigostar, Aug 30, 2018.

Share This Page

1. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Hey, folks... Ive been having tons of fun working on Graff lately so I was wondering if anyone or persons out there are willing to battle? I keep on missing the larger "prize" battles so I thought maybe as the prize, the winner gets all the original artwork from all the other competitors in a "Winner Takes All" battle? Im looking for artists that would contribute complete works of art not, just the lettered word.

If there is interest, then we can work out the other details...

2. Damon

Damon Member

Battle on

3. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

Give some more detailed info

4. hungover

hungover Elite Member

there are plenty of battle threads running, hop in on one

5. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Sorry for the delayed reply...

Create an artwork using the word "Demons".

Remember - Your submitted artwork must include more than just the lettered artwork and each losing contestant is responsible to properly mail their artwork to the winner (please DM winner for their address).

The battle begins today (depending on feedback/ responses) and submissions will be accepted until 9/28/18 11:59pm EST. Voting will open on 10/1/18 and will close on 10/7/18 11:59pm EST. Winner will be announced on 10/8/18. Once winner is selected individuals will have two weeks to mail out their artwork.

If there are any questions or comments lets iron them out now. If not let the fun begin...

6. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

I dont get it, why would the winner want flicks of all the losing work? Is this just fishing for free comission work?

7. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

1- Just because it didnt win doesnt mean it isnt good
    2- Providing a tangible goal/ "prizes" makes people work harder

Im an artist... I would never fish for free artwork... At the very least I would offer a barter but, more importantly from what Ive seen, the best outcomes from these battles come from the ones that offer a "prize".

8. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

Yes but the prize is not really a prize if everyone can get the pictures, no matter if you won or lost

9. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Why does anyone own original artwork when we can view the vast majority of it online? If anyone doesnt see the purpose of this challenge than its simply not for them...

I'm 39 and have been dabbling in graffiti since I was probably 11 or 12. I went to an art high school during a time where graffiti began becoming more than just a "tag"... And I was heavily influenced by older writers and blackbook graffiti that would melt your brain.. It wasn't just graff anymore it became a source of prestige to get a page in a book where every single page was better than the next and owning that book was the epitome of like minded writers... But most importantly I believe there are a few folks on these forums that have incredible potential and I hope to inspire some of them and ignite some fire to breakthrough into the next phase of their artistic endeavors...

10. DBZultima

DBZultima Senior Member

Im interested, I just hope we get 10+ people in this

11. domestizo

domestizo Senior Member

12. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

Start posting pics, it will get the ball rolling nicely

13. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Perfect we have at least three....! Let the games begin.... Ill work to have mine done by the end of next week.. Hopefully, that would motivate some last minute entries... If anyone needs any advice or just wants to toss around ideas post them here... Lets help each other.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone does...

And for those looking for a little direction, below are a few tips.

1- Dont just start with the intention of finishing... Meaning... Put some thought into what you want to accomplish. Ask yourself questions. Am I being creative? Does this make sense? Horizontal or Vertical?

2- Think about the overall "theme" including colors (if your adding color) and "style".

3- Use reference! Every great artist uses reference.

4- Dont be afraid to experiment BUT, if you can avoid it DONT experiment with your final product. Play with your experiments using the same paper/ canvas and medium you want to use in your final product before trying it out on your final paper/ canvas.

5- ******** Execution ********* Make sure you leave yourself enough time to execute your artwork to the very best of your abilities... Take your time.. Make sure your outlines are sharp and confident, coloring is within the lines and you have carefully examined all the little aesthetics to make sure they are perfect.

14. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Here are some character sketches and composition thumbnail

20180906_145616.jpg

20180906_145647.jpg

20180906_145704.jpg

15. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

Thats dope, i might have to sketch something up aswell now

16. domestizo

domestizo Senior Member

A Preliminary Sample!

A8A0370F-746A-49D5-AA2F-83CFF3CB7E6F.jpeg

17. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Great idea.... Maybe figure out how to do both hands...? Like they are coming at or trying to grab you..... Just thought since you had both horns you'd create a nice symmetry with both hands too... Ill post more sketches tonight.... Im changing how the graff letters fit.. and adding some parkouring demons....

18. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Im still working on the main demon design... But, Ive also added a couple of pakouring demons... I'll hopefully get started on the final tmrw so stay tuned for another update...

20180914_150413.jpg

19. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Ok... Here is my last post before my final submission... So, I thought I'd end up showing you the final rendered drawing of the main character which ended up being a lot larger than I wanted.... So, I'll have to do the graff lettering on another page probably with the parkouring demons then cut them out and put them all together on a new canvas... Oh...and I still have to figure out what kind of background I'm doing which will probably be some sort of flat graphic image.... Hope to have it done by this friday...

Edit: Trying to keep this thread going.... Hopefully there will be some folks out there jumping in soon.. Decided to share the "graf'd" Demons word and parkouring demons...

Demons Resized.jpg

Main Demon Resized.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  20. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Hey folks.. Deadline is this Friday.... i should have mine done by Thurs... Hope to see some entries...