Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. BombingWriter12

BombingWriter12 Elite Member

idk what to say about that but i would say start off with some simpler letters

2. BombingWriter12

i mean the whoosh piece is pretty good but did you use bars???im sorry i gotta be a dick about this if you are going to pursue being a graffiti writer than you need to try harder man.

3. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

Nope, those were before I even learned what bars were. Been practicing that lately but haven't quite gotten the hang of it.

4. BombingWriter12

you shuld go to the write the persons username above you thread and just practice different names and letters.Sorry . do you paint??
    hows your characters lookin????

5. BombingWriter12

wanna see a character i did in sharpie the other day??

6. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

No worries, believe me I'm brand new to graff lettering so all input and direction is helpful. That is why I'm hanging out in the toys forum. I do paint. I just posted a bunch of characters in the character thread yesterday Characters

7. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

Yea show me what you got!

Here's one for you.

Screenshot_20190109-153246_Instagram.jpg

Tried a quick one using bars
    20190109_164107.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  8. pngn3

pngn3 Member

I know these are pretty toy, but give me criticism. Ignore the colouring mistakes in the first one please lol

15470833223303511606032745460213.jpg

15470833786355021712985765362416.jpg

9. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

Crit from a toy so take it with a grain of salt.

I like the letters of the first one, just space them more evenly. That g is intruding pretty heavy on the first N and the second is just kinda floating out there

10. pngn3

pngn3 Member

Yeah, I agree, but I already did the outlines when I noticed that.
    They're both completely original by the way, made from scratch. I haven't done the coloring of the second one

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Pngn3, you need to work on drawing straighter bars and smoother curves in your letters. Adding style at this stage isn't going to help you. You need to refine your understanding of letter structure. Make sure you can draw the most simple basic letters like those that are on your keyboard exactly as they appear. Once you can do that then you can really start to develop your understanding of flow and try to add more style.

Some quick pencil simples:

ac1.staticflickr.com_5_4809_32811095928_2a7c0388a9_z.jpg

12. pngn3

pngn3 Member

thanks man!
    how do i go about doing that though? copy fonts onto paper?

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Yes. Literally. Look up a font like Helvetica or Arial and copy the letters exactly. Treat the lines as bars and try to make them as straight and smooth as they appear on your computer or phone.

14. pngn3

pngn3 Member

And I should do this multiple times, right?
    Really appreciate the help btw

15. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

1000 times . Till you forget what style is then come back here and get told what is stylish from a bunch of fucking weirdos on the internet who like sandbox letters with sandbox fills . Come on guys grab your coloring books and your crayon boxes let all go to urbans tent to draw our super elit graff letters

16. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

Sounds like a plan elbow bring a shank for protection you don't know what to expect from the urban legend known as "urban"

17. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

Urbans gonna welcome us with open arms . As long and we all rub our nipples while we write our supper neat supper clean basic letters .

18. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

lol

19. pngn3

pngn3 Member

ill make sure to become bored lol

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

You do it until you're able to draw the letters cleanly and very close to how they appear. It might click with you rather quickly or it could take a hundred sketches of the same letter before you finally get it. How long it takes is individual to each person.

The whole point of this is to teach your brain where the bars should go and how the structure of each letter works, and to develop the muscle memory to draw cleaner straight lines and smoother curves.

People always hate doing this part of the learning process but the ones that do it are able to achieve a higher skill level in a shorter amount of time. I've seen some people get stuck at the toy level for years because they refused to just try and learn how letter structure works and then take the next step to develop their understanding of other graff fundamentals like flow, letter/ name weight, and negative space management.