Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. pngn3

pngn3 Member

i dont do single letters though right?
    do full alphabets?
    im also a pretty quick learner, so i might be able to get this kind of quickly

2. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Single letters are okay, doing the whole alphabet is good, but you should be doing various words more than anything to learn how letters string together into words. Do your name most of all since those are the letters you're going to need to get familiar with the most, but don't limit yourself to just that.

Some more oldies for all this talking:

ac2.staticflickr.com_6_5535_11424416655_84df4d8120_z.jpg
    ac2.staticflickr.com_8_7384_12978903105_ba80dbe683_z.jpg

3. pngn3

pngn3 Member

thanks for all the advice man. appreciate it. definitely going to be doing this later

4. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

That hole shit is restarted and for the birds you think cope and seen and all them dudes are l8ke letter and name weight . No that's the internet talking

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

tf are you talking about, that is how you learn to draw better letters, which it seems like pngn3 is wanting to do.

This has nothing to do with getting up. Someone can have letters that look like complete ass and still get up like crazy. Which is fine if that's all they want to do. But if you want to develop a good style then you have to practice graff fundamentals. Period. Even if you practiced them through painting. You still have to practice them.

6. ElbowMacK187

Yeah sure . Basic font letters till you understand how you should and shouldn't bend a letter . But alot of the time y'all be disecting things way too much. The a slightly to small it throws the weight off ...this letter should be capital cuz that one is ... its all bull shit .. you thik conrbread and the founders of this shit thought we would be on. The internet telling each other that's not good enough to be here .. its fucking graffiti at the end of the day . And it's gets cattigorized as such weather it's scribble on a sing to burners on a legal wall . Only we be like nah it's different trying to make us feel better about it. And separate the better from the less . Capitalist at its finest lol . But no .for real listen to dude (anther) he is going places youll see me here four years from now still in the fuckng toy fourm cus graff is now opion base

Not black book but adding pics for all this talking

20181028_154351.jpg

0528161432a.jpg

0527161852.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  7. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

It's not bullshit if it's legit criticism to help you get better. It's all graffiti, but some graffiti looks better than others.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are objective things about style and letter structure that everyone has to learn if they want to reach a certain skill level, That isn't opinion based. The best thing anyone new to graffiti can do is to learn what they are and start working on them if they want to reach that skill level.

It just seems like you're acting salty because Phat told you not to post in the intermediate thread. And now you're directing the salt at me for some reason? Because I'm trying to help pngn3 improve? You're looking seriously petty right now, dude.

It doesn't matter what you say, graff has fundamentals just like any other kind of art. And you have to learn them if you want your work to look good. If someone wants to do comic book art and they have no understanding of anatomy then their comic art is going to look bad. The same shit is true for graff. If you have no understanding of letter structure or flow then your graff is going to look bad. If someone pointing out flaws in your work upsets you then it's whatever, I don't really care. But go sulk about it somewhere else. Don't discourage the other peeps in this thread who want to improve from listening to the crits they get.

More old flicks for all this talking:

ac2.staticflickr.com_4_3670_12232707773_5d3c6951c7_z.jpg ac2.staticflickr.com_8_7443_12525110263_7389654329_z.jpg ac2.staticflickr.com_6_5473_11613100904_8b24f54642_z.jpg

8. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

Thanks for the tips man, I really appreciate them as well.

9. ElbowMacK187

I didn't turn shit at you and I aint mad about phat . Phat said I could stay if I try harder I did and still others dellet my shit . Your shit aint that nice dawg just cus some mods let you post there don't get a swoll head no body discouraged him i told him to listen to you . You are right . I'm just the bs villain runing my mouth cud it's bs and that all these dudes do on here any way . Any one better then me says I'm whack ..these toys I'm I'll . I can't lose for winning .

Here some older shit for my talking

20190111_060632.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

Elbows stuff is better than sanguine...Elbows got style just cause you don't like his style does not make him a toy its just your personal opinion.

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

I never said anything about the quality of my stuff, I've never even said anything about the quality of yours. Not once have I criticized your work or boasted about any of mine. Removing your shit from the intermediate thread was all Phat so take it up with him in a private message or something. I just want you to stop bringing up your personal beef with a mod in these threads and stop telling newbies that everything they're told to help them get better is bullshit.

The only one who seems to have an ego problem is you. If you aren't mad then why are you acting so offended? Throwing this pity party in this thread and in the chat? Really, I couldn't care less that you're upset. I don't care if you or Kaps want to be petty and shit on my stuff, even though I never once said anything bad about yours. What you think about me or my shit is meaningless, It doesn't matter, and I don't post here to impress you. Just stop clogging this thread up with your tantrums. This thread is for people to post sketches and to get and give crits.

ffs 10 years I've posted here and if there's one thing that's never changed it's all the e-beef that continues to plague this forum.

Some more old stuff: Lets get see some more flicks posted here and put an end to this whack drama.

ac1.staticflickr.com_5_4827_46703292111_82b616d931_z.jpg ac1.staticflickr.com_1_428_31876463810_e7630b1bd3_z.jpg

12. ElbowMacK187

You gotta b a chick . You don't read nothing just what you want to read then post more . Lol

You not getting what I was saying I wasn't sayng not to do the things you are telling them to get better .i was saying not to lose style while you do it becus searching to find a style on the internet will steer you into a rabbit hole .. 10 years.. . Yeah me too and look at us were stuck with shit fucking styles cus we be on here.. lol .. being told what's right and what's not right. Is all I was getting at .
    But honsetly it wasn't about you personally till you seem to want it to be directed at you then it was .
    And I aint throwing no petty party.
    I could care less what any of yous think . Buttt...
    As for ego it's graff we all got one why els would you write on some one else's shit .

Let's do an exchange . Out of love . :)

20180210_134634.jpg

20181211_205902.jpg

20180101_155147.jpg

20181013_103153(0).jpg

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

When you say the advice to practice basic letters is bullshit it discourages newbies from doing it. It's the most effective way to learn when you're just starting out and it's best they understand that if they want to get better. You're acting like they don't need to, even though it will help them more than anything.

What it looks like to me is this is about you and your beef with Phat telling you not to post in the intermediate thread yet. So I don't know why you started making sarcastic comments about me "going places" just because I was giving people legit crits, and then saying I have a swoll head when I've never boasted once on this forum.

I draw graffiti cause I like drawing letters. That's it. I don't believe I'm anywhere even close to the best which is why I only post in the toy forum. Of course, I didn't think I had a "shit fucking style" but it's whatever. You can shit all over my work all day, it doesn't matter to me. Just don't go making the peeps starting out think that the crits they are getting are "retarded and for the birds," and keep your beef with the mods private. You do that and we are A-okay.

And fuck it, I'll do an ELBO. BO looks like a challenge for me.

More old stuff:

ac1.staticflickr.com_1_387_32312573815_e37bae4b20_z.jpg
    ac1.staticflickr.com_1_433_32014449031_917f5f438f_z.jpg

14. ElbowMacK187

Are you not reading what I'm saying .

I didn't say basic letters were bull shit I was saying all that extra noise is to much for these dude right now ..basic letter is always the best place to start.

I wasn't being sarcastic about the going places but take it how you want ..

And for the 3rd time phat said I could stay it's that other dude delleteing my shit but idc I'm not gonna post there no more.

I said "we"had shit styles but okay be offended bro . I didn't say you suck . You have some of the crispyest lines on this site . . Your older styles were better . it looks like you started doing simpler things . Probly to please the mods years ago . And got stuck .
    I feel like I'm stuck in the same boat and can't escape basic letters to move on to the next level cus I sketch more complex letter but then go to factor in all that other letter and name weight .extion origin flow and destination and reason of travle with out haveing ridiculous ungly shit and I get stuck .

The clean lines with pens and markers will probly never happen from me cus I can't hold the pen more then ten mins and not get numb fingers .. But I will try harder next time I paint some shit .

Is it ather or aether for the exchange

Some ish from like 2012

20190111_185144.jpg

20190111_185021.jpg

20190111_185011.jpg

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Word, doing simples is essential, but the the stuff I said about flow, letter weight, and negative space also isn't bullshit or for the birds. It's the next step above doing basic letters. Everyone with a good advanced style will understand all of that in some way. Giving them names so you can talk about it and explain it to newbies isn't just the internet talking. A good mentor would teach you the same stuff, even if they might call it something else.

I'm not offended dude. Like I said It doesn't matter to me if you shit on my work. I just don't think either of us has a shit style. I'm not trying to apease the mods, I do more simple stuff now because I've been focusing on getting better letter structure and learning to make this name flow well.TH was a really hard letter combo for me when I first started using the name Aether. I think a piece should be able to hold its own and be dope enough without a bunch of crazy extensions anyways. People used to say better things about my stuff when I did really wild shit, but I don't care, I want to have a dope simple style that doesn't have to be too wild. Once I'm satisfied with that I'll start doing weird technical shit again.

You can get cleaner lines, it's all just muscle memory. I don't do inking for longer than 5 minutes at a time usually. It might take me a whole day to ink one sketch because I keep taking breaks. You just need to get some smaller markers or some fineliners and take more time. It's up to you if you want to give it a shot.

And it's Aether. Two Es.

This was one of the most wild sketches I ever did, but the letter structure looks like ass to me. I wanna do some stuff like this again but not until I can make nice simples that flow well without even thinking about it.

ac2.staticflickr.com_6_5056_5548094500_f891ffabba_z.jpg

16. ElbowMacK187

I get you there mang .
    Word I'll try that . With the breaks inbetween .

The th combo is hard as fuck bro . Like really hard I thought it would be easyer cus there all up bars but it's not .
    And yeah I feel you with it needing to hold it's own weight with out extra ad ons

Here's what I got so far ..

20190111_220554.jpg

17. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

I'm liking the hearts. TH is a bitch combo but I have more trouble with HE now more than anything. BO was definitely difficult for me doing yours.

Done with mine:

ac2.staticflickr.com_8_7846_31768812587_20a430dfbc_c.jpg

18. ElbowMacK187

That l is mean . I like how it's like the bottom of the e and the b is the same shits sick mang thanks .
    I inked the out line . Fucking butchered the r tho :(

These bombing science books have that weird paper the eat markers to :(

20190112_134500.jpg

19. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

I dig it. It's nice to see my name in a different style. I always have to make the T go over the top of the rest of the letters so it's cool to see you not doing that. Gives me ideas for doing it differently. Don't worry about the R, the overall letter structure of the piece is nice. Props.

20. ElbowMacK187

Thanks mang .
    I wanted to do the top of the r the same way as the t but it wasn't workin so I tryd to mirror the a ..
    I have that same problem with ts to so I do em upside down to switch it up I do it alot more in hanstyles

Did a lil inline while waiting for my wife to get out work a lil dark in the car so it's a bit fucked but w.e

20190112_170116.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019