Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Chemistry 101:Beginner Ink Labs and Pics

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by HëRbN, Jul 2, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Kanoodler

Kanoodler New Member

Has anyone tried adding acids to their inks? Been thinking about making a batch with some muriatic in it.

2. SozeyBoii

SozeyBoii Member

lol no dont do that. that´s not the move lmao. often the acid´s react with dyes or whatever else is in the ink you mixed into it and it´ll possibly explode

3. Andros

Andros New Member

Okay so toy question: for markers is it better with or without Xylene? I've been looking and I see that people either use it or don't use it. Are there advantages or disadvantages of having Xylene in your ink?

4. StammaDaHammer

StammaDaHammer Member

I think it's dangerous to breathe in the fumes, not sure if xylene based inks stain better than ones without.

Also, does anyone know how well inks'/ dyes will stain brick and concrete walls? I've got an idea of transfering ink into an aerosole

5. baker

baker Member

Hey so i just read a whole lot on this thread, and i've decided to make my own stainer ink. I live in denmark and I just searched up dot3 on Google, and it seems that dot4 and dot5 Are alot easier to get a hold of,can i use that? also what else should i add to leave a gnarly stain?

6. Ciph

Ciph Member

does anyone have any good ink tips?:)

7. Umcrew

Umcrew New Member

i recently bought a stealth ink marker and did some research on what was in that shit, i seems like there is some sort of Silver Nitrate (AgNo3) in it and i had a silver nitrate pen laying around my house so i started expirimenting with it. turns out if you mix it with water and put it under direct sunlight it turns into a brown stain that is unbuffable. does any one now where you can get pure silver nitrate because the amount that is in the pen is very minimum. :)

8. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

9. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Bump cause this thread should be pinned and isn't.

10. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

You can probably buy it online. Beware though.....Silver Nitrate will stain your skin with a PERMANENT black stain. If not washed off quickly, it can also give a nasty chemical burn!!!!!

11. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

It can be done, but the best way is to put steel wool in vinegar for like 2 or 3 months. If you read back through the early days of this thread I talk about it. Although I personally feel like there are easy and better things to use.

Pvc primer is still my favorite for ghosting and bleed through but it's purple.

12. Umcrew

Umcrew New Member

Yes i know, it is used to remove warts or something lol.

Btw does anyone know of its a good idea to mix iron oxide with your ink, my thoughts were that the brown colour of it will leave a nasty ghost

13. GINK

GINK New Member

Was looking to see if anyone had a real hard staining solution, Not the pen method or anything more of an industrial approach of things (Without methyl violet because its banned in australia)
    Trying to find a super hard staining recipe atm

14. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Can you guys get pvc primer? The purple stuff works fantastic for staining and ghosting.

15. dodgy_david

dodgy_david Member

We can get a red dyed or clear one here, the red one has a decent bleed. They like to eat pen tubes (polypropylene) if you are making big batches of pen ink though.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  16. dodgy_david

dodgy_david Member

Feast Watson Prooftint (alcohol based wood stain) can be obtained from bunnings, its usually in the paint aisle. Its been the go to for insides and bombing in general since the 90s. The mahogany or black colour are the best and can just be dumped straight in an empty marker or can be used in conjunction with other ingredients. Black has higher opacity but mahogany has a better stain so choose wisely depending on your use case. Don't bother with any of the other colours they're all too transparent and dont leave as good stains.

Potassium permanganate is a dye similar to Methyl/Gentian violet and can be obtained over the counter at most chemists. If they question you, say its not for consumption and its for a medical kit or else they won't hand it over. It stains pink/purple depending on how long it gets to oxidise. Beware that it tends to clog nibs so make sure you grind it up before adding. You only need a small amount (roughly a teaspoon or less of unground crystals to every 100ml of ink).

Methyl/Gentian violet can be obtained online but you'll be wasting a lot of money on shipping so personally I wouldn't bother especially while you're inexperienced.

Pen ink is some of the most potent ink you can make with what we have available if you get your ratios right so I'd suggest you do a bit of experimenting. You can even just use it as a base and add other things to it as well. Go crazy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  17. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Pen ink base was always my go to, I made mine as concentrated as possible and then cut in PVC primer or another stain. Always worked well and ghosted through buffs good.

Could probably also mix the stains you mentioned, would be worth a try.

18. dodgy_david

dodgy_david Member

Most definitely. Speaking from experience Feast mixes well with pen ink assuming you use compatible solvents.

I think making pen ink can be a bit off putting for inexperienced people but its definitely worth putting the effort in. Only takes half an hour to an hour to prepare depending on how big of a batch you make and then you just basically forget about it for a few days apart from giving it a shake to agitate it every now and then.

50 packs of pens can be obtained from OfficeWorks very easily as not all stores have LPO or really care so saying its too expensive isn't a good excuse.

Unrelated, but it pains me to see people talking about cutting the pen tubes up into thirds or whatever instead of just cutting off the top because it will yield less extract and just cause the ink to get sucked back in when you try and pull the tubes out at the end of the extraction o_O