Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Does Rustoleum Suck Now?

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Phaze69, Apr 5, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Phaze69

Phaze69 New Member

***SKIP TO BOTTOM IF YOU WANT TO AVOID A LONG STORY*** Alright so I haven't been heavily into graffiti for almost 10 years now and I'm trying to get back into it. Lately I've just been getting that urge to go and tag something. So I went to Wal-Mart the other day and got a few colors of blue and one magenta (which really ended up being more hot pink) of some Rust-Oleum American Accent and 2 of the big Krylon cans, one flat white and one matte black. The first thing I tried to do was a black throw-up with a magenta outline on a concrete wall and the black Krylon just fucking sucked. It was worse than colorplace used to be back in the mid 2000's. It literally looked like the wall was just absorbing the paint. I thought maybe the concrete was just bad because it had a weird texture or maybe it was because the paint was matte and not flat black. Who knew they were different?? I used up the whole can of black paint just to get this little ass throw up to not look like complete shit. It still looked bad. I thought if I did a nice thick bright outline I might be able to not make it look terrible so I got the magents rusto and that really wasn't all that great either. It was bright as hell but only if you went over the same spot like 3 or 4 times. I used over half of the can just to get the outline somewhat thick and to make it bright. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed especially since that was the first time I've spay painted anything in a few years. I really thought the wall was just bad so I went across town and tried some ink blue rusto on a concrete wall and it was the same shit. It was thicker than the Krylon but it was so much patchier. The Kylon actually looked better once I used enough paint. But then when I tried to do the outline with the pink rusto, the paints would barely even mix. My letters overlap each other a lot so of course I'm going to be painting over wet pain of a different color. But the pink on the blue just looked watery. No matter how many times I went over it the pink just wouldn't cover the blue. The last time I painted I used Rusto fluorescent and it turned out fine. Does Rusto just have a new formula now or what? And what's up with the Krylon? Are the flat colors any good? I only used the matte black can I bought. Are they any better on surfaces other than concrete? I'm going to go try them on some dumpsters and maybe semi truck trailers over the next few days. I bought a tall can of silver paint I'm pretty sure it was Krylon. I hope that works better especially on metal. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me!

2. SUG

SUG Elite Member

Well i use rusto all the time and dont really have a problem...i do know what your talking about the whole colors mixing thing that does happen. I accidently bought the matte black and was pissed it looks like crap in my opinion, and as for krylon i dont use really at all cause there stems are just a bit to thick for my adapter. But i mean over all i think rusto is good for a intermediate or beginner they have lots of colors to pick from

3. Phaze69

Phaze69 New Member

Yea I really hope it was just the weather or something that was messing with the paint. Bc Rusto is pretty much the only thing with a good color variety I can get around here. I just didn't feel like ordering paint online and waiting for it to ship lol. Both of the places I tagged were under bridges and like 10 feet from big creeks so idk if the moisture in the concrete made it bad to paint on. I used to write all the time and I still do it every once in a while so I know my technique can't be that bad I did use the stock caps tho bc I didn't have any female caps or an adapter. Anyways thanks for replying so fast dude.

4. Calvin Galow

Calvin Galow New Member

20 minutes ago I just tagged a wall of a grocery store which was brick with rusto and it was fine. Maybe you just got bad cans or I've accidentally picked out primer by accident before

5. Urbanophile-666

Urbanophile-666 Banned

Rustoleum has always sucked...

6. BombingWriter12

BombingWriter12 Elite Member

i think the first cans i painted with was krylon that was when everyone was using overlapped bars in there letters like on an a the left bar was longer and the right bar shorter

7. arieone

arieone Senior Member

Rusto is normally good probably just picked up a primer maybe rusto cover is a bit watery compared to art cans but its okay any ever used holts