Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Getting A Blackbook

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Runk, Nov 18, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Mischuf

Mischuf Member

You can use anything you like for a blackbook, but traditionally its black. scrap paper is ok, but with a book you can leaf back and learn from your previous efforts. Its too easy to lose stuff if you use scraps. if you fill a book, get a new one and put the other somewhere safe. You'll develop your own style quicker by retrospection than you will by biting from your betters. It takes a long time to understand how what you've bitten works and flows. If you actually worked something out in your book yourself you already know how it flows and can take it even further. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with something no ones seen.

i use 2 hardcover travel sketch books. 1 is my blackbook where i work on tags and throws (and try piece layouts. I know I dont have the skills, but a toys gotta dream right?) In my 2nd book i'm writing a novel. Its not for anyone else but me. Its a great way to practice your handie. when i look back at early pages i can see slow improvement in form and fluidity. As kewl as a mad wildstyle piece may be, when you do your first full page of neat flowing handie, you'll feel like you've really accomplished something. This was stressed to me time and again.

And seriously consider adding a handie book to your blackbook and practice your handwriting too. How can you write your name up for all to see when you cant write a fucking sentence legibly.

2. Strange Journeys

Strange Journeys Senior Member

blackbooks are for passing around to other writers like autograph books, as well as some of your dope shit. i wouldnt waste a good bbook on practicing simple stuff

3. Mischuf

Mischuf Member

but if you're a toy, simple stuff IS probably your best stuff... but i get what you mean... So i guess i don't have a blackbook by your definition, but i still reckon my point about being able to look back on your old stuff is a valid reason to use a book. Don't have to be pricey.

Also it seems like my idea of a blackbook is what the dude was after.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  4. rolling fresh kush

rolling fresh kush Banned

5. 12againstme

12againstme Member

I got a moleskin notebook at target for like $10-12. It's about 8x5 inches, really good quality for the price and comes in different sizes too

6. 12againstme

12againstme Member

Photo on 2012-01-30 at 23.01.jpg Photo on 2012-01-30 at 23.01 #2.jpg Photo on 2012-01-30 at 23.01 #3.jpg
    this is what it looks like, for only $12 it's an amazing deal

7. Eurothrash

Eurothrash Senior Member

Dont like moleskin, too thin and ink tends to bleed through.Have a couple of sketch books, A4 cheap for dumb shit, b5 good quality for good shit and ink drawings and a moleskine for field notes, all bought, because I can afford it.

8. Sinister151

Sinister151 Member

9. SiteGraff

SiteGraff Senior Member

I used to draw on just blank computer paper and keep all my drawings in a folder but then i got a composition book that i sketch in and then i have a hard cover actual blackbook that i got for when my composition book is filled up

10. SiteGraff

SiteGraff Senior Member

just use whatever you can get your hands on really, you dont necessarily need a blackbook

11. Kinger79

Kinger79 Member

for my blackbook i just have two... one for messing around at school and stuff and another one fore serious peices that will end up looking good.

12. R3bel1995

R3bel1995 Senior Member

I have several different books for different things; one for throwies, on for piece ideas, one for characters, and another for random scribbles. It helps to organize your thoughts

13. Mildstyles

Mildstyles Elite Member

14. R3bel1995

R3bel1995 Senior Member

15. Mildstyles

Mildstyles Elite Member

Who brings a blackbook to school? Thats what i mean..you arent supposed to flaunt that shit haha. Keep little stupid doodles for school

16. R3bel1995

R3bel1995 Senior Member

No I use like a random book, a word search, a saduku book, so it's very discreet.

17. Mildstyles

Mildstyles Elite Member

I meant the kid above you

18. R3bel1995

R3bel1995 Senior Member

19. MASTAH_RIBCAGE

MASTAH_RIBCAGE Moderator

...are you stupid or something? definetly not the right time to say " toche' "

20. master of shiny shit

master of shiny shit Banned

basicly use anything thats paper because some people use sheet metal but this is not good because pencils and pens dont write very well on sheet metal and also its heavy

so dont use sheet metal for doing pieces use paper