Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Homemade Graff Wall on a Tight Budget

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Bt98, Aug 21, 2018.

Share This Page

Tags:
  1. Bt98

Bt98 Senior Member

What's good guys. I plan on constructing a backyard "wall" for some can control and wall painting practice and thought you guys would like to see the process in case you want something similar for practice

I have constructed some plans and a cost estimate and will post a picture of them once I have the time, but I'll give a general outline of my plan .

The first portion of the construction will be the frame. I plan on a rectangular frame constructed from 2x4's butted together and reinforced with nail plates. The far short ends of the frame will extend down below the frame, and will be attached to triangular feet to allow the wall to stand freely without having to prop it up. The frame will most likely be 7 feet long by 3 feet tall. The legs will extend 6-12 inches below the frame.

The actual surface will be constructed from a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. Nothing too fancy with it, it will just be secured to the frame with screws, leaving 6 inches of overhang per edge.

Once this is done, all that's left to do is coat the structure with primer to prep the surface for painting and then it should be good to go.

As I said, I will be posting a drawing of my plans and constructing a cost estimate by the end of the day. I think this is pretty thorough, but If you are interested in any more details I might have left out let me know and I'll be sure to get back to you.

2. SUG

SUG Elite Member

Dont mind the piece but heres my homemade wall

20180626_134518.jpg

3. SUG

SUG Elite Member

I basically had my fence as the structure and screwed in some 2x4 for extra screw space cause the fence post were a little to far apart...but then i bought 3 4x8 plywood (about 16 bucks a piece). I kept 2 of them whole and sawed 1 in half long ways, screwed the whole ones on first at the bottom and the put the halves flush on top and tadah! Then painted with primer

4. Bt98

Bt98 Senior Member

Thats cool man, seems pretty similar to what I want to do. The only major difference is I don't have a fence to secure it to, so I need to make it stand on its own. Glad to see the idea works in practice, I was actually planning on using a 4x8 of ply just like yours too. Got me itching to build it now :D nice piece too, good structure and your control is clean.

5. Bt98

Bt98 Senior Member

I dont know what order these are gonna post in, but my local home despot was out of the brackets I needed so I fabbed my own. Took some pictures along the way. I also threw a semi final picture in there. The frame is all done, all thats left is to add some braces to the legs and attach the plywood face.

20180822_145532.jpg

20180822_134745.jpg

20180822_134110.jpg

20180822_132945.jpg

6. Bt98

Bt98 Senior Member

Can't get the frame picture to attach, I'll post it when I get it ti work...

7. mopbucket

mopbucket Senior Member

I’m going to try this today