Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

ReTitled: Anonymity, getting linked to other work?

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by DeadTraveler, Sep 24, 2018.

Share This Page

1. DeadTraveler

DeadTraveler Member

A big long winded OP just to find a few hours later I was really just asking how to stay anonymous regardless of legality, and about linking risks. Blanking on principle cuz details.. Gist of the original OP:

Did one stencil tag, got super paranoid, and through that started wondering and worrying about how do all these street artists maintain their anonymity while being paid, and whether having other media is a linking risk and how high would one be.

Reiterated that Graff is a love not a get-rich-quick scheme, but MAY be the pillar of support for other dreams and projects.

Probably just gonna leave the rest of the thread as it is

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. DeadTraveler

DeadTraveler Member

So there ARE some questions I CAN answer on my own.....

Basically, I am completely aware that how much people are looking for me is proportional to the amount of stink I raise with my tags.

I am aware of the difference between a public and private wall.

I am aware on some degree I sound like a dreaming shitlord possibly putting carts before horses.

Will be edited as more come

3. dangeri

dangeri Elite Member

Stick to legal places if its bothering you. It will give you the time you need to get can control down while offering the chance to meet other like minded people. Also, and this is just an opinion that may get slated, get some letters down first and foremost. There should be a thread called 'new to graffiti:start here' or something similar, but to summarise...Start on paper, keep it simple, and keep doing it till you arm falls off, then progress to paint.

Also... admitting to doing anything illegal on a public forum would be naive at best.

4. DeadTraveler

DeadTraveler Member

yah I'm blanking as soon as I'm done here. Just had to talk to... people who know...(And 4chan just seems like dicks)

Basically my first can is gonna die soon because I've been doing so many stencils to get acquainted. the type of fine lining that I want... it's gonna require it, even while doing full tags.
    I'd post sketches but... possibly not the best place for that right here.

I feel like this thread is gonna get out of hand with newbie tips rather than the legality questions

5. dangeri

dangeri Elite Member

You wont have legality questions once your not a newbie. And messing up spots with less than reputable work will not make you popular with the locals. Have you read the new to graffiti thread?

6. DeadTraveler

DeadTraveler Member

It would appear I confused which "newbie" thread you were talking about.

THAT HAVING BEEEN SAID.

There's this little bit, then there's nothing:

". Don't write with anyone that won't fight for you. Don't be paranoid, but be careful. If you avoid writing on pristine properties, you'll stay in misdameanor territory, and you woen't divert the cops attention from pastry and caffein consumption (consult local laws to be sure). Remember, if they didnt see you do it, it's almost impossible for them to win a conviction without your damming testimony. "

The law is clear. I'm asking for the subtleties. The nuance. How some people are able to make money with all this while staying anonymous, even though they may or may not illegal tag.Whether illegal tagging in the first place will ruin you down the line if your style can be linked to other media, and whether such an occurrence is likely.

I mean shit checks go to a bank account at least right?
    Is it all cash?
    Shell companies?
    Do cops even care about these transactions? Are they allowed to warrant a business for my invoice?
    Raid a mural?

Edit for emphasis: This is more about staying anonymous regardless of legality(yes it took me this long to figure that out) moreso than being linked. That is a personal thing. Yet still, I'm curious about the rest.

Look. I have my path, I have my ideas and plans, I have my style. This thread was just about my first experience going out, the emotions involved, and how I needed additional perspective on what I'm trying to do moving forward. Trust that I'm already doing what I can, and that money for cans and lack of legal walls is the only AND I MEAN ONLY things slowing me down from going full speed ahead.

Hell, might even just stack some cinderblocks and start training thanks to some of the stuff I've seen here.

I'm just trying not to come off as someone scrambling for cred. Because I have none. I want all my ducks in a row and my path forward clear before I even accrue any, so that I'm doing things the right way.

7. hungover

hungover Elite Member

you're being paranoid

one tag wont ruin you, in fact, I highly doubt anything will come of it. You would be surprised just how little people care about most graffiti. The most that will happen is your single stencil gets documented/washed, and thats it.

Theres not much to say other than if this is something that keeps you up at night, simply don't do it.

8. DeadTraveler

DeadTraveler Member

Well you successfully pulled me out of it at least, thanks for that.

Haven't been worried about this one as much as what's gonna happen when/if I start going bigger, layering up stencil with raw spray work, etc... It generally sounds like I... shouldn't worry even then, as long as I'm being picky where I drop my work.

If what I say about what I plan sounds weird, it's because it is weird.

Edit: After this post, blanked the OP. But still some good questions that I'll check back on later.