Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The New To Graffiti Thread

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by koper, Jan 12, 2007.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sallybsk

sallybsk Senior Member

ughhhh that url just makes me angry.
    YOU CAN'T LEARN GRAFFITI FROM VISITING THAT WEBPAGE, I'm sorry to say, but it's true.
    IT'S going to take you years to learn shit. get a notebook. fill every single page with your handy, because you should develop that first, do bars at the same time(since they're quite easy), PRACTICE A LOT... I know you cats want to hit the streets, but don't.

You don't need belton, you don't need crazy fucking color schemes, you don't need wildstyle burners and 3D, FUCK YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A DROP SHADOW. I JUST WANT TO SEE YOU MAKE A FUCKING BAR YOU FUCKING TOY, A GOD DAMN RECTANGLE, OR A BENT RECTANGLE. BAM! Just do that for a few years, meet some people, and by then, you'll already know what to do in the streets, and hopefully some other cats will be teaching you, not over the internet.
    /rant

2. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

3. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

Honestly enc?

That work right there is complete shit. Like no exaggeration, its a total fuck up.

But its okay! Because everyone starts out putting out whack ass shit, but if you listen, bench and use your head you can paint with the best of them.

To start off I suggest a few things:

1) read the first couple pages of this thread and the links in the posts
    2) watch a couple graff vids, read a couple mags, go through online albums (whatever, just get all that excited energy out.)
    3) actually read the first couple pages of this thread this time.
    4) start working on your handstyles and block/simple letters (dont even let things like crews,throws, and pieces pop into your tiny little graff head yet!)
    5) Fill up all those pages in your black book. (You can come back to the toy forum for crits after you can produce half decent shit on your own time.)

4. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

OG throw style? General speaking 2 colors (usually black and white) just your letters with a one color fill and either a drop shadow or 3d.

Throw up (the highlights and the face are not things you should be adding just yet)

[Broken External Image]:http://www.fatcap.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/throwup_zeki1.jpg

Another throw up (how it should be, 2 colors just letters)
    a2.bp.blogspot.com__s6AWiGEgZBw_Rydf0qi_jAI_AAAAAAAAAAs_CYblnWOVQXo_s400_fill_In.jpg

Just an example piece:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.razorapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/adidas-can2-subway.jpg

5. cpyrte

cpyrte Member

Okay so I thought I'd explain this sticker thing.

[Broken External Image]:http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/38/photo0897.th.jpg

Thats an Image that I took of the stickers that are usually currently available. The one on the left is the Classic USPS sticker, which is free via either visiting a post office or ordering some at the USPS.com website. The one to the right of that is the DHL sticker which comes in a full 8.5 x 11 sheet but the actual sticker is about 7.5 x 5 which is much bigger than the USPS sticker. The only way to obtain these stickers is by ordering them online at the DHL website. Now the sticker at the bottom is the Avery 05450, it's a multi-use label sticker. You'd have to find these at an office supplies store. But honestly don't waste your time with these as the adhesive sucks. Hope this helps :D

6. prefer

prefer Banned

throw-two colors with fill
    hollow-outlined throw with no fill and one color only 3=d sometimes
    peice-multiple colored creation normally rather intricate but still legible (called a burner sometimes)
    tag-you know what this is im guessing or just stop
    thats really all you need to know use common sense when getting up dont go over shit thats better than you, try not to go over shit peiiod unless these not enough room, if you go over someone on aident or on purpose expect beef, use good judgment dont go over gangs

7. Laimonel

Laimonel Member

1. Dont wrtie on walls until your thing is fresh.
    2. Dont fuck with others.
    3. Dont get caught.
    Good luck.

8. SMK

SMK Member

heres some tips on racking
    in a lot of places if you dont rack youre even more of a toy, also if youre a kid money is hard to come by and stealing is easy....
    if you want to steal decos or other markers youre best bet is to go to michaels (they usually have a display stand with like 5 of every color)
    get a pringles can and put something in it to muffle sound and reduce jiggle, stuff it in your pants and put the decos in there when stealing them (fits around ten)
    to steal paint GO TO WALMART, even though they have semi good security, they wont arrest you if you dont steal more than 25 dollars worth (they will get pissed, possible fee), meaning you can steal as many cans of their 1 dollar crappy suck paint as you want, because theres almost no way to walk out with 25 cans on your person, even with a backpack....
    to get free slaps WITHOUT STEALING just go to the usps store and order priority mail stickers (my avatar) theyll ship up to 500 to you for free
    kickass

9. smokeitup

smokeitup Elite Member

ive found that in australia, where im from, that you cant rack paint unless you wanna rack exports from 2 dollar shops. they are great for bombing, the best colours are chrome and black, shit thing is their male so dont take caps.

as for ironlak or any other good paint, you have to buy it because they either keep them locked up in a glass cabinet or behind the counter.

for markers, you can go to places like officeworks and steal boxes of markers for sketching or just simple tags. but they keep the fat markers in a drawer and you gotta take a card with the picture of the marker to the counter and ask to get it.

you can also rack sketch books from officeworks its pretty easy.

and just one other thing, i think its already been mentioned but ill say it anyway, never take your sketch book with you while bombing/piecing. this is just common sense.

just a few tips.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. b5200

b5200 Member

How to make stickers with paper, duct tape, and glue.

Out of necessity, one day i sat down with a bunch of craft stuff and experimented until I created a home made sticker.

Step 1. The backing.

To create the backing you take a piece of paper that you don't plan to use any more and you cover it in duct tape or an equally smooth tape. I use some shitty "clear" duct tape I got at big lots because it's not actually clear(and therefore useless), the smooth side can have duct tape ripped off it without paper staying on the tape, and because it can usually hold onto the backing instead of going with the duct tape. These are things you should look for in an alternative tape if you want to save your duct tape for better things.

Step 2. The sticky part.

This is the part of the sticker that will actually be applied to the surface that you stick your sticker on. Take the duct tape and apply it in a different direction than the tape on the backing. Be very careful with the tape, if you accidentally get it dirty, don't rip it off whatever you stuck it on then use it for the sticker. If it isn't clean it wont stick, that's why the backing is coated in tape. Make sure to keep the tape smooth so that the paper stays on better. Sometimes the tape can be hard to remove from the backing so what Ill usually do is take some scrap tape and stick it in the corner between the backing and second layer of duct tape. This creates a pull tab for quick removal. If your scrap tape is too thin you can sometimes pull it and just rip a strip between your sticker and backing.

Step 3. The image.

Now all that's left is the part that you want people to see. I recommend creating your image beforehand so that if you make a mistake you don't lose an entire sticker.

Simply take your image and glue it to the backing. Be sure to use less glue towards the middle and use more glue on the edges. If you use too much glue it will fuck with the image. After you put the paper on the glue(or the backing on the glue) squeeze out as much glue as you can by running an old credit card or a piece of cardboard over it. The corners have a tenancy to be what causes the paper to peel so what I've tried recently is not gluing the corners with regular glue then after it dries finish up the corners with super glue. I haven't been doing this last part long enough to see how they last but I think it's gonna stay up longer.

I've used this to create stickers from printed pictures without any sticker paper. Sticker paper is easier but I don't have any so I created this, plus I suspect duct tape stays up longer than what they use for glue.

11. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

DONT POST UNLESS YOU ARE POSTING A TUTORIAL.

If you post here, you will receive a warning, any more repeat offenses will get you an infraction

If you have a question we have a thread here for that

Toy Questions: (Just Click) Some should be willing to help you, and answer you question

Tools and Tips:(Just Click) If you can't get a answer their. Then go here.

12. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

[Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...66422787_100000507545549_705772_6271617_n.jpg

bars tutorial
    this is a piece of a battle being run right now, so I thought I'd leave the skeleton (red lines) showing to give everyone who's having trouble keeping bars going in their pieces an idea about the concept that is letter structure
    notice what bars each letter is made of, how they flare in one direction, notice where they meet and where they dont.
    notice how the same bar keeps going in the same direction with the same flow even after it goes through another bar. most importantly, notice how all these bars overlap to make one specific, solid letter.
    notice how only the outer line hich is called outline is the only one traced... all the red lines are supposed to be erased after that.
    and notice how all the 3D lines (dotted ones) converge into the same vanishing point (an invisible point which all these lines lead to) this is called a one-point perspective 3D effect... or just 3D for short. hehe
    in many cases, having a vanishing point is better and looks better than having all your 3 D lines going in one specific direction, like all to the leftm, or all to the right etc... it gives the piece more depth and makes it pop off better...

as you've probably noticed by now, if you've been some time with us on the forums, that most crits toys get are regarding letter structure. Bars are the most important part in this thing. so practice them as good as you possibly can, these good people arent' giving you crits about bars for nothing. you'll see as I certainly did that without em, you're gonna be stuck with one badddd habit of having unstructured letter for the rest of your graff life

they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I hope this one was worth at least only ten and helped a thousand good guys

PS: if anyone has a good tutorial which they would like to have featured in this thread, do not hesitate to send it to me through PM and I 'll post it with your name

piece ! :p

13. ven0m

ven0m or Phat2

here's a link to a page where you can learn all you need to know about typography basics...
    typography is the stepping stone to graffiti. It's THE VERY most important science to master if you're looking to get somewhere with your graffiti (excluding characters and backgrounds of course... this has only to do with letters, nothing else)
    Artists with typography experience progress faster, smoother, and easier than others that start doing graffiti without any typography background

read the stuff on the page if you're passionate enough about graff to spend the time required to learn that stuff (which is definitely worth it)
    most of it is important, few of it not so much... it has a lotta technical terms and names which are nice to memorize, but of course, that's not at all necessary

take it from a graphic designer, that shit's good :>

warning: kids will find the page boring/uninteresting

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.