Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Chemistry 101:Beginner Ink Labs and Pics

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by HëRbN, Jul 2, 2008.

Share This Page

1. TAGurIT

TAGurIT Senior Member

Your station looks like a meth lab XD

2. Mr yarbles

Mr yarbles Elite Member

Wash it off with water
    or jsut put the ink in
    For a little bit it'll come out whiteish red but the white will soak through pretty quick

3. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

y
    o
    u

c
    a
    n

d
    e
    l
    e
    t
    e

y
    o
    u
    r

o
    w
    n

p
    o
    s
    t
    s

r
    e
    t
    a
    r
    d

4. ·jaikone·

·jaikone· Senior Member

5. EgoZen

EgoZen Elite Member

Zenstar Baby Crunk:
    aa597.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images01_105_l_e3d3d00643f8609b86ba882f865410b4.png

aa468.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images01_9_l_376a050fd4177118239eeadf6f2ce8fb.png

6. keenur

keenur Banned

you dont have to change the nib but if you want to clean it .. just soak it in some kind of alcohol

7. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

nah grog white is oil based, ud be better off soakling it in paitn thinner for a day, then i guess trying to clean it out with water and or acetone. THEN you can use inks

8. ~~>ANTIK<~~

~~>ANTIK<~~ Senior Member

i was jus thinkin hav u guys ever heard of pomagranets?? *sp* der these fruits that are really known for how their juice will stain ur clothes like wen i used 2 eat dem wen i was little i wud always ruin my shirts by gettin juice all ovr dem... dat shit staind hella hard!! its like a red juice im gunna make red ink n a few dayz nd im gunna add dat shyt ill let u kno how it works

9. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

^good idea. but im not sure how it will stain walls, cuz clothign is ALOT different

10. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Figured id bring back this thread with some more beginner stuff, mostly to people who are just starting or just setting up there lab but there should be some nuggets of knowledge any one can appreciate

Sorry for the crappy pics my cameras flash is broke :(

Additives:
    BB Juice
    [Broken External Image]:http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/830/bbjuiceoi2.jpg
    Dump a whole bag of BB's in a small glass jar. then fill the jar with vinegar enough to fill about a quarter inch over the BB's. Put on the lid and stash it. After a day or 2 you'll notice a definate difference in the liquid. It'll work now but the longer you wait the better. This stuff really helps with opaqueness and helps stain better too but smells like balls when mixed :/

Steel reserve-
    [Broken External Image]:http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6628/steelwoolfk3.jpg
    Drop on pad of steel wool in a jar. fill the jar with enough vinegar to completely cover the wool. Cap let sit for a long ass time. *2 - 3 months* Its yeilds a similair liquid to BB juice but is a dark grey in color rather than a brownish.

Resin Dyes -
    [Broken External Image]:http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1629/resindyerh2.jpg
    Found at Micheals Craft stores, comes in a pack of 3 colors for $10.49 works great for adding to colored pen bases such as red and blue. Pack also comes with a yellowish orange color.

Metallica -
    [Broken External Image]:http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/6510/silverly4.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2492/liquidgoldlp6.jpg
    One easy way to make cool metallic inks is to use one of 2 things either Speedball brand calligraphy ink, silver is bad ass and mixes wonderfully. *make sure it doesnt say acryillic on it* Blue Pen ink comes out tight as hell with this stuff.
    The other choice is gold leafing liquid. Which actually also comes in silver and about 3 different tones of gold. And is Xylene based! So its some pretty serious stuff. These mix differently with different inks so experiment to find the best one. I tried to get a pic that would show how opaque this gold shit is but it didnt turn out real good but thats it on the lid and running down the jar.

Tips for Tots

-Always Label everything, It may not be a big deal in the beginning but after you amass tons of jars with similair looking inks you want to know the difference especially sense you are mixing chemicals and reusing jars.

-Never smell your ink! Sounds funny but seriously... that stuff stinks anyway.

-Clean up is easiest with what ever the base of the spilt ink is duh.. no soap and water here kiddies.

-Make base inks... lots of them. Not everyone does this but if you make a ton of pen ink as use them as "Base inks" it makes life easier. I generally like to have a large batch on hand of both strictly blue pen ink and one of strictly black pen ink. And sometimes a batch of red. This way you can use that to start from and then add additives to little parts and see what works before destroying an entire batch of ink.

EDIT: When making a base ink out of pens try to use less alcohol than you normallly would, they will come out alittle thicker and may be more of a bitch to make but it makes a huge difference when cutting in additives and such and you can always add more later.

[Broken External Image]:http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4140/lab1nh9.jpg

Happy ink making! :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  11. EgoZen

EgoZen Elite Member

12. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

13. Offset

Offset Senior Member

Is there anything cool I can do wtih fabric dye(tintex)?
    I found a shitload the other day.

14. Cesk

Cesk Banned

Nah man, when its that I usually get a shot glass (for like vodka shots) i fill it put with thinner, I put my nib in and I leave it there for like 4 hours. And voila :D
    Itll work man :]

15. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

I personally have never used it but im sure it could be used, especially as an additive, or maybe even a base i dunno how it would work on say.. metal though. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes

16. letsgobombin

letsgobombin Senior Member

anyone know if poster paint could replace acrylic in the acrylic paint mix? is it the same thing?

17. FLIP FLOP

FLIP FLOP Senior Member

if u use tintex you need to try very hard to get every bit of the powder out cuz it will clog up your nib. i used it once tryed to filter it through a coffee filter but it didnt work. it can be a very good colour if you do it right though.

18. Offset

Offset Senior Member

I'll run it through a sock a couple times. Do you think that will do the job good enough?

19. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

If it wouldnt filter through a coffee filter then i doubt a sock will work better....

Made a bad ass purple metallic ink, pen based. With powdered glazing pigments. Pics and details tomorrow

20. fonone

fonone Senior Member

got some little bottles of 50ml woodstain, had all colours like black, red, green, blue, purple etc etc and added them to some grog, deff made it better. i'm going to try do some with some pen ink aswell, i assume it will work just as well.