Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

I got my small town to legalize a wall for graffiti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mana740, Apr 6, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mana740

Mana740 New Member

Hey guys! I’ve been writing for 15 years. And since I’m older now with a family and a job, I didn’t want to jeopardize my life style. So I went to a city council meeting located in Portsmouth Ohio to request that the city give artists a place to go and paint freely. My town has many artists already. This was perfect.

To my surprise, they were all for it. This prompted me to reach out to many people in the community to get this project off the ground. I then created the committee called “Portsmouth Street Art Project”

I have the support of the local college, the entire city council, including the mayor, the Portsmouth Art Museum and many local business owners. A local bar even is allowing us to paint her building with nothing but beautiful works of art.

it gained a lot of traction and attention to the point I was on many local radio stations and even interviewed for a whole segment on WSAZ, a tri-state news channel for Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.

I’m now filing a 501c3 form that turns the project into a Non-Profit organization which will allow us to apply for grants for funding. Which will also allow us to buy painting supplies for anyone that wants to participate.

The committee is also planning events such as a grand opening of our wall and other events to raise money for the community.

To me, Graffiti is art and shouldn’t be looked down on. By legalizing a wall, it should open peoples minds to the idea that graffiti is a real art form and not always about vandalism.

The council is legalizing our wall at their next meeting. Hopefully this covid situation will end so this can happen.

if you would like more info about this project, we have a FB page you can check out.

Just search up Portsmouth Street Art Project on FB

ask anything in the comments :)

82A35631-AA0E-41D6-A227-B3A889AA0B42.jpeg

9DD7D135-5F9E-46FC-8589-42AF8CA087F0.jpeg

2. Hemsley

Hemsley New Member

That's amazing, Mana740. I'd love to see a blueprint on how to attempt this in other communities too.

3. Mana740

Mana740 New Member

Thanks for the support! I’d be more than happy to discuss this with you. You can either message my projects page on FB. Or idk if you can send PMs on here. I can even give you my personal phone number if need be. I’m so down to help other communities get something like this.