Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art Or Vandalism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CAMPER DOM, May 11, 2005.

Share This Page

1. DoctorOfCrime

DoctorOfCrime Senior Member

Right back at ya

2. respERATION

respERATION Banned

....does it matter what it is?....i mean either way your still doing it?

3. sneek1

sneek1 Member

it is definatly the art of vandilizzum only to be appreciated by other vandals n some socials of society .so it is art but in only in the eyes of those that appercieate it werd?

4. goonzatwork

goonzatwork Senior Member

this has and always will be a never ending argument. Graffiti to many people, yes, is a FORM of art. (usually classified as 'Urban Art', thus the names of crews such as UAK aka Urban Art Kultivation). In the eyes of society, graffiti is art, until that ART is projected onto public/private(basically any property that is NOT yours or property that of which you are NOT given consent to paint on), turns to vandalism.

here's something to maybe help your opinion on this matter. factual information:

vandalism-willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others

Art-the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"

where the two collide is where the contereversy lies.

5. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

Graffiti can be vandalism, but doesn't have to be.
    Not all vandalism is art.

Simple as that.

6. OOPS!

OOPS! Senior Member

7. Baron

Baron Moderator

Vandalism, through and through. Don't try and twist it, what we do is illegal, whether it is beautiful or fucked up it's still vandalism.

8. Nurseofgonzo

Nurseofgonzo Senior Member

depends on why you are doing it..if your doing it because you want to be a vandal and cause trouble then your a fucking vandal..simple as that.

If your doing it because you have a message, a passion, or a reason to be out there creating art for everyone that lives in your city..then your an artist...

You can pass anything as art, as long as you can speak about it, why your doing it, and the concept behind your actions. I've passed of many paintings at my art shows that most would consider nonsense..but with a decent artist statement you can give it purpose.

9. LeaksOne

LeaksOne Elite Member

10. Baron

Baron Moderator

But through the means of projecting "a message, a passion, or a reason" you still are going out and destroying property, it could be public, it could be private, either way it is vandalism. Just because you think you're shit is dope and your message is pure doesn't give you the authority to write whatever you want, wherever you want, it's still vandalism. To look onto others and say "they're just writing to vandalize" with a 'holier than thou' attitude is just pure denial.

If you really believe that you have this great "artistic and social statement" behind your work then you are delusional.

11. mefe

mefe Senior Member

Both... it is clearly an art form, you cant argue with that. yet we do vandalize by doing it in illegal place and shit..... it is both.. why do people think it has to be one or the other.

12. LeaksOne

LeaksOne Elite Member

its an illegal art form. case closed

13. Nurseofgonzo

yeah I can see how that came off as condescending but it's not ment like that...I have NO authority to make a judgment on what or who is being artistic and who is simply being a vandal. Scribbles and tags are just as valuable as pieces and great works of art...but only if the person doing has a reasons..what that reason is and if it is valid or not is up to that single person..isn't that the whole point of graffiti? To live by your own laws? BTW my shit is awful atm..I have no control whatsoever and I am still getting the hang of working with cans, watching around etc etc....but I have what I feel is a vaild reason for doing this..so to me it's art. Does that make it any less of a crime..no..but there is plenty of art some consider crimes or vulgar..and others view as beautiful and groundbreaking..it's all personally relative ya know?

14. BOMiT

BOMiT Member

from a pholiosophical point of view, it can be both, its just how you perceive it.

15. Baron

Baron Moderator

Talk to me when you are sitting on the sidewalk with a pair of cold handcuffs that graffiti isn't vandalism.

I've been there. I'm not going to brag because it isn't a highlight of my life. All I am going to say is that when it comes down to it, graffiti, no matter for what cause or how beautiful it may be, is still illegal and therefore vandalism.

16. Nurseofgonzo

Very true, good point to be honest.

17. EGO31

EGO31 Elite Member

There are artistic aspects to it, but it is and illegal act. Vandalism. I fucking love it.

A throwy, to me, is vandalism.
    A piece is art, albeit, illegal.

18. The Kidz

The Kidz Senior Member

19. Baron

Baron Moderator

Well, not with what you've got.

20. Fube

Fube Elite Member

its both, not all graffiti is an illegal activity.

you have legal walls and commission jobs.

art has such a vague definition that these days anything can be art, this dont make it legal but its a combo of the 2.

Though vandalism in itself is illegal, it is often also an integral part of modern popular culture.

hate to bring someone like Banksy up but,

Tags, designs, and styles of writing are commonplace on clothing and are an influence on many of the corporate logos with which we are familiar. Many skateparks and similar youth-oriented venues are decorated with commissioned graffiti-style artwork, and in many others patrons are welcome to leave their own. There is still, however, a very fine line between vandalism as an artform, as a political statement, and as a crime. An excellent example of one who walks this threefold line is Bristol born guerrilla-artist Banksy, who is revered as a cult artistic figure by many, but seen by others as a criminal.