Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. Daylight Bomber

Daylight Bomber Member

Graffiti in a sence is about individuals expressing themselves through 'artwork' in a society where we are often limited to our so-called 'freedom'.. The term graffiti can be interpreted in many ways, too me atleast. You can look at it from the aesthetics standpoint or you can look at it from where the graf is actually being displayed.

The thought process of actually placing a tag, bomb, piece, you name it, is in itself an art form. Climbing that building, hoping that fence, manouvering yourself around and deciding a place to throw your bomb is what seperates graffiti from all other artforms. It's not just the work itself, it's the strain that goes into the work that makes it so unique...

Anyone can use aerosol and spray there name on a wall, just think about why you're spraying your name, why your risking your ass, don't do it cause' you think you're a badass or hard, do it because you have a reason. A reason of expression, isolation, alienation, artwork, you name it.. Remember why you're doing what you're doing and THINK about it...

Do what you love.

2. Kao.Ali

Kao.Ali Senior Member

well if we call everything art, there is no meaning in the word, art should be more of a revered thing, it takes talent do execute art.
    sneaking out and around and all that is not an art, its the vehicle you use to get up, there is no art of bombing (as an action) shit, ive bombed drunk, i caught my first tag in 4th grade,
    not that catchin wreck doesnt require talent and finess

3. Daylight Bomber

Daylight Bomber Member

It takes talent to climb a billboard to execute art.

Yes, you are right where as not all the time you're thinking about where to place your work but that's where the so-what factor comes in. If you yourself know why you are perfoming this illegal act, then indeed it is an art of self-expression. Expressing oneself through movement and placement is art.

Also another thing about graffiti is that it is the manuscript of our whole civilization.. In 500 years when some plutonic gas seeps into the atmosphere destroying our airsupply and we all become extinct, then in decades to come when somehow life begins to form, hopefully some intelligent creatures will be able to look at these walls and say hey 'there was life before us, life that could express, and feel.'

My example is totally absurd but you get my point.

4. dismal

dismal Senior Member

graffiti is art if you want it to be if your doing it to get your work around then its art but if your doing just to fuck up shit go die

5. Wait

Wait Member

The way i picture graffiti is as vandalism....simply because that's what it is, it's destruction of city or private property no matter how you feel. The only people that think of graff is an art are the ones who can't accept it as it is and prlly haven't even done a illegal piece because once you do one you can realize the risks of getting caught and what's at steak.

6. Daylight Bomber

Daylight Bomber Member

Who's to say whats illegal and what isn't; society is some artificial makeup of how life is to be percieved. Who's to tell someone you can't paint on a piece of concrete that we all pay for in our 'tax's'? As long as private property is concerned I respect it and would only work on abondoned buildings or downed buildings about to be demolished...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.geelblauw.nl/stone/photos/muur0022.jpg

This sure is vandalism right??

Wouldn't you love to stare at a bare piece of concrete instead?? ... ? vandalism..

anti' dronism...

7. illicit

illicit Member

graffiti is art.

stencils are art
    wheat pastes are art

constructive graffiti is art.

shit like graffiting toilets isnt really art. unless u write a cat or something.

8. Amaze

Amaze Member

Some of it is. Well besides the vandalising part i guess its art. I dont know what it is but its fun as shit.

9. ChRoMa 11820

ChRoMa 11820 Senior Member

i think its all art even just throws and handstyles

not everyone can do it and it takes practice just like all art
    itss just a different type just like fine art,tatoo art, realism, cartoons etc

its just street art and is the type of art for someone who knows how to draw and like to vandalize things...its like killing two birds with one stone

10. ruse

ruse Senior Member

pieces that take a skill and time to create i regard as art. but bad toy tags that u see on every bus stop etc, i regard as vandalism

11. G-RAF

G-RAF Senior Member

its officially art regardless of legallity... vandalism is a different page.

art1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ärt)
    n.
    Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    The study of these activities.
    The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
    High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
    A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
    A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice†(Joyce Carol Oates).

arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    Artful contrivance; cunning.
    Printing. Illustrative material.

12. Able!

Able! Senior Member

of course its art! sure sometimes and most of the time its illegal art but who cares...i think that everyone here would call themselves a graffiti artist am i right or am i wrong?

13. Linkzone1

Linkzone1 Senior Member

why wouldn't it be?

14. svker

svker Senior Member

Correcto Mondo!

15. Fluffy Bunnies

Fluffy Bunnies Elite Member

I say graff is art cuz when someone wants to start writing unless your some white punk who wants total annihilation of everything from cars to houses.

The tags that I see is art to me cuz it looks nice and it's pretty to look at like these...
    This is like a bunch of lines but it's art.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/Flu...wa/d45152c3.jpg
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/Flu...wa/cb645d63.jpg
    This ewok piece speaks for itself and sure it's destruction but sure is nice. and at least it's not a big penis.
    http://www.bombingscience.com/graff1/ewok-NYC-05900.jpg
    When someone writes on a wall, they don't think of it as vandalism, they think of it as being creative.

and something to cause damage looks like this...
    http://watch.windsofchange.net/pics/r1733813756.jpg
    http://www.fpasa.co.za/gallery/car_on_fire.jpg
    and you would only do this stuff to be a brute savage or some white guy who thinks they're bad

if you ever asked a black writer they would say it's art. If you were to ask a white guy their opinion might be wayyyyyyyy dif. If I was white, I would kill myslef and be an emo kid... haha.

16. kase121

kase121 Senior Member

if a white person was to say that samething just the other way around, it would be racist and not ok but a black person can do it. that doesnt make any sense to me. graffiti is art whether your black or white

17. G-RAF

G-RAF Senior Member

naaah fuk dat, illegal or legal regardless, graffiti is still art.

18. keep6

keep6 Member

there are 2 totally diff aspects of graff one is bombing where u go out all over the city spreading yer name out all over and destroying other ppl sh!t and the other is the art side where u and yer boys find a nice chill spot where u can go and lay-up yer pieces and really express yerself.. i myself is in it for the art side.. i don't give a fuk if the public see's my work and can't read it or what they think of it, it's not for them it's for other writers who are down with the graff seen there the only ones that matter

19. RKT47

RKT47 Senior Member

ok if you read earlier on in this thread it goes from the veterans like gesus saying graff aint art to you lot now saying it is, i personally think that it is an art form because people like graf, i dont care if they are politicians are whatnot, deep down part of human nature is to write on stuff, in the football adverts about those kids in brazil, graf in the background, in moveis, tonnes of graf. defintion of art: art is the expression of creativity or imagination, or both.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormchild.net/images/graf/2003-04-06.jpg <<Is that not creative and imaginative? im sure he didnt bite it off someone, so yes he CREATED it.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.seenworld.com/images/fullsize/Throwups/silvblacbomb.jpg<<yes its seen i know but its still a bomb, i call it art, not vandalism

20. -GEKS-

-GEKS- Elite Member

i say its art. all of it, even the real fast tags and throwups. it makes the spot ur at feel a lot...eh, cooler, i guess. if its good and looks kool than its art.