Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. RepUrSet

RepUrSet Senior Member

the style of graffiti drawing is an art

the vandalism isnt...but wth its fun neways

2. RepUrSet

RepUrSet Senior Member

actually it started off with a law-biding journalist...
    he travelled all around the world interviewing n shit
    and eventually he realized he would get more publicity by writing his name in the trains and places he went to... it had no "style" eventually people noticed his name and started to write there names..then people were being arrested..hence alias's then they started gathering other writing and forming crews and competing with them by creating different styles..

conclusion:
    graffiti started out as vandalism...but by a law-biding citizen

3. E-Terror

E-Terror Elite Member

graffiti is stupid and i hate everyone who does it

4. Kry WAR

Kry WAR Member

5. alter

alter Member

there's two very differnet sides to graffiti, bombing, and pieceing.
    for someone to go around their town and put the same throw-up in as many spots as possible that not art. However if you perfer to do a full colour burner i dun care where u do thats art to me.
    "Big-ups" to WAR on that Goodman Production that shits hot and a good topic

6. E-Terror

E-Terror Elite Member

what about straight letters and simples done at street level or on freights?

its not a throw, but its purpose is for getting your name up

what then huh?

7. alter

alter Member

throw ups can be simple stright letters with a few colours and a background even but there on a diff level than piece's
    if u didn't take the time to lay down a detailed sketch it's a throw-up not a piece

seen is natorious for his stright letter throw-ups on trains back in the day and that shits fine by me

8. FritoLay

FritoLay Member

All graffiti even little tags are art.

9. *570 Ambush

*570 Ambush Senior Member

graffiti is not art, it is in a sense but depending on who you are do u really think of it as art when u do it? if so why dont u just do it at home on paper, and get fuckin paid for it? graff is more vandalism and a social problem than art.i love graffiti, and i love art, ive also taken art classes and im on my 8th year, i just feel differently when im doing actual art, than vandalism, and hands on walls is def not art (good art)

10. *570 Ambush

*570 Ambush Senior Member

actually ill rephrase this, peicing is art, good art

11. TrashCan

TrashCan Member

I think its more about intent. If u practiced on ur throw-up an it means something to u an u think of it as art even if its small then its art. If u just wanna throw ur tag all over corpret shit to F with them thats not art.

12. myl

myl Elite Member

just like the guy said in style wars (and completely contradicts himself): "Graffiti as the name itself is not an art. Graffiti is the application of a medium to a surface."

13. nel307

nel307 Member

yes graffiti is art...not vandalism even if some ppl think so...tggs throwies and pices ARE srt....get it....art of expression

14. KAL

KAL Senior Member

I did a project on this in school n pretty much everybody said yes. but in my opinion its art, and 4 most it goes either way... somebody said b4 me its a double edged sword and that couldnt be any closer to the truth. but in the end its all writing on the wall whether a peice, or a throwie.

15. MEATBALL

MEATBALL Senior Member

Graffiti is an artistic form of expression, yet it is not art.
    Graffiti is vandilism, it is illegal, it is a way to get your name up and be know, to disrupt peoples regular lifes of go to work, go to sleep, die, and is frowned upon by most. It will never be accepted by society as a whole, therefore it will never be art.

16. Special_K

Special_K Senior Member

this is just my schpeel on graff. i am an advocate for graffiti and by all means support all true writers and up n' comers who are in it soley to get their art up and just to do their thing. but there are assholes out there who are in it just for the sake of destruction. guys who hit the "untouchables", make half ass tags and who deliberately go over real writers. theres nothing more beautiful than a perfectly done full color burner. but no one wants to see "fuck you jimmy!!" scribbled on the wall w/ red paint. im in it to make the world better and at the same time to get my name out there.

-I was once told by some one who suspected me and my friends of doing some tags"you guys think ur hot shit for writing that crap on my car yeah!?!! you kids are nothing but a bunch of low life vandals!! graffiti is nothing more than rubbish done by juvenile delinquents!!" i proceded to day"Miss we are not graffiti vandals, we are merely guys who like to write our names on things." i happened to have my friends old book on me and opened it up, when i flipped through it her jaw dropped and said two words "my mistake" and walked away.

17. YOP

YOP Senior Member

people who dont understand graffiti say its vandalism

18. -=AgA=-TrAnCe

-=AgA=-TrAnCe Elite Member

if they crnt do its vandalism!

19. cwazy

cwazy Senior Member

tags,throw-up... things done quckly just put your name isn t art
    the rest is art

20. dri

dri Senior Member

i look at it as two parts.. bombing throw-ups and tagging shit does not hold much artistic value and that is like raw graffiti writing, where as making crazy wildstyles and characs is most definetly 100% art. Graffiti is a broad topic with artsy sides and vandalizm holding a big part