Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Lookie-Lookie at the Blackbookies: flicks>talk

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by geezpot, May 2, 2004.

Share This Page

1. EBA

EBA Elite Member

I am working in Procreate. It would be fascinating to see what you came up with in it.

2. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Right, and the idea is to make them different. Drastically, different if possible. Ive been doing graffiti almost as long as regular art. I have plenty of my work throughout this site. If you check out my profile page you'll see a bunch of traditional art and graff.

3. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Hi there Ded - First thing first. When posting any work, make sure its presented properly. That first image should be horizontal so it should be presented that way.

Now that I got that out of the way.... I have to say there is something quite pleasing about your work and with that said there are some minor things that you can do to elevate it's overall quality...

1 - Your attitude towards Graffiti - I am going to assume that since you asked "us" what we think, that you care about Graff enough to not just think about it as simple vandalism. This is important because folks have different views on the subject and those views reflect in their work. If your attitude towards Graff is vandalism then what Im about to say is moot... When approaching Graff make sure your letters follow the same principles as their traditional font predecessors. Meaning, that the structure of the letters all follow a similar format (unless your doing a style of Graff where every letter is different). So, lets say your doing a word like "NAME" - When creating those letters the vertical lines should be the same width and height and their connecting lines aka diagonal or horizontal lines should follow suit. Try looking up "free fonts" and spend some time looking through various font types and analyze whats happening, the similarities between letters and so forth. This will help you put things into perspective and to be fair your almost there!

2 - your 3D or perspective - the most common application of 3D is a single point. So, when creating 3D, what needs to happen is you need to select a place on or off your paper where all the lines would theoretically meet. That point is called a "vanishing point" and all its outstretched lines should be the same length (this rule really just applies to 3D on lettering, if you were doing a city scape those lines would differ because of the many types of shapes and sizes that buildings come in) and those "streaky" lines that are added to the 3D are not "SUPPOSED" to be there for simple aesthetics, in reality, their purpose is to show the shine of a bend (unless its reflecting something nearby).

3 - Your outline - your outline isnt terrible. I would grade it a 7 out of 10. The objective should be to create the smoothest consistent lines you can possibly make. This is accomplished by single strokes. What I like to do it find two points that I would like to connect via outline BUT, before I throw down ink to paper, I create imaginary or practice strokes above the paper between your pre-selected points. I do this a few times until Im confident that I have the flow of the line programmed to muscle memory. Then when Im ready to put ink on paper, I hold my breath and create that one single stroke from point to point.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your progress...

4. DED

DED Member

Thanks man!! I really appreciate the help and tips!! I’ll do that! I’m always trying to find new was to improve and get way better!

5. krazyphlava

krazyphlava Senior Member

6. EBA

EBA Elite Member

That is dope as fuck!

7. Gons

Gons Member

Welp, not posted here in years.

This is my first finished piece in 3 years, rediscovered my love for graffiti. Hope digital pieces are cool

"Retro" for reddit word of the week

RETRO WOTW.jpg

8. SeyoR666

SeyoR666 Member

Wow man what program did you use, Im trying to figure out myself how to do digital designs! Looks great though man, if you havent done anything in 3 years that a fresh piece to come back to.

9. EBA

EBA Elite Member

Who fucks with digital these days? (Oh wait... I do!) LOL!

That is fucking dope! Welcome back!

10. Switch Technique

Switch Technique Senior Member

For the HUSH battle on here

41B53E10-FEE3-4685-AD75-4E59E52D05EF.JPG

Also doing simple stuff for painting cuz im still pretty trash at it...

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

11. Classic

Classic Senior Member

Vanda fuckariund … As need work and the ND transition is mushy

73465006-0780-415D-A456-D130C5363C2C.jpeg

12. Side_One

Side_One Senior Member

What a train wreck...

20210922_005524.jpg

13. SeyoR666

SeyoR666 Member

All three of ya should check out the intermediate thread, I mean im no moderator or nothing just been doing this shit for years. To give ya some insight on why.
    Switch your letters feel like there squished. Your letters on the evny pieces arent bad, really like that second N. But its missing 3d, and as a guy that love doing Y's. Try matching the bottom of the E and Y so there symmetrical, it'll give it a very flow like look. I really do like that forcefeild on the first image though, shits tight!
    Vanda, this is bad by no means at all it just looks forced. I don't know how to explain that, maybe its the amount of black use, or maybe its those shapes in your letters that all have lines pointing in different directions? I don't know its hard to pinpoint what's wrong with it but like rework that A structure the very least. That extra bar on top of the A loop is totally unnecessary. Might as well drop all the extensions to because they don't really work. I do feel like it has potetional, just maybe go more simple and spread those letters out and do a solid 3d.
    Side, you should learn what bars are. Keep all the widths consistent throughout your bars (the shapes that make up your letters, think of them as long recent angles curved). and use some black sharpies and guys either use 3d or drop shadow! Its important to add this.

Heres a piece that ive not finished yet, debating on 3d or drop shadow? What yall think, might go with some spooky colors (orange, purple, green, red)

SEYOR.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  14. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

Why do you keep on directing folks to the intermediate thread?

15. SeyoR666

SeyoR666 Member

Because tha's where I was sent for many years on this forum when I was a toy. If I had to go through the ranks so does the rest. But that said I am not a moderator just someone who loves graffiti and likes to see people grow from critiscm. If you think I am doing it out of being a troll then you have the wrong idea. Its just a more constructive thread then this one to learn.

Heres a piece that ive not finished yet, debating on 3d or drop shadow? What yall think, might go with some spooky colors (orange, purple, green, red)
    SEYOR.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  16. vigostar

vigostar Senior Member

As far as your piece is concerned... its already pretty busy, so if it were me I would avoid any 3D or drop shadows.
    Lastly, I don't think your trolling and I apologize if it seems like I coming off like a dick.

17. Classic

Classic Senior Member

Vandals …. 20 year old paint marker stopped cooperating. The V is bad and smaller than the rest … struggling

DB86FD67-98B4-4CA2-AF89-205BE49167BE.jpeg

18. SeyoR666

SeyoR666 Member

Thanks mate good to know! As far as no 3d or drop shadow, thats a absolute no go. I refuse to do pieces without either, just personal. Tbh I might do both just for the fuck of it.
    Classic, That piece is a lot more well put together. the flow and spacing is on point! I wouldve made the V a more sharp design but besides that killer, any reason you dont use 3d or dropshadow?

19. Classic

Classic Senior Member

KRAZI GLUE drunk scribble

seyo- in this instance my paint marker quit so it’s not done but I’m an old dog. I’m lazy, it’s autopilot at this point. Sometimes 3D sometimes not .. whatever

403BF374-86F6-4291-8914-B3245EC9B60F.jpeg

20. SeyoR666

SeyoR666 Member

Word I feel yah! This was quick 10 minute sketch, wish I had some white paint markers to do some highlights.

seyorsimple.jpg