Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Permanent marker on (acryllic) glass? (waterproof + scratch resistant)

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by LEEL, Aug 5, 2017.

Share This Page

1. LEEL

LEEL New Member

Heyyall
    I am looking for a black permanent solution to draw on acryllic glass, that is waterproof (for cloth cleaning) and preferably quite scratch resistant.
    It also needs to be very opaque since it will be lit from the back and needs to have quite a small nib (preferably >2 mm).

Is there such a marker as this? What kind of marker do I need to look for? (that is preferably available in the Netherlands on short term)

Im not sure if clearcoating the project (an already constructed lightbox) is really a (handy) option. It is definetly not preffered if its not neccecary.
    If its possible to remove the marker with something like alcohol/nail polish remover (withouth aceton), that could be usefull for errors.

At some local craft stores I was able to try some markers (that are supposed to be able to write on glass) on an acryllic glass plate:
    - Ive tried Montana acyllic paint markers (waterbased), but they seem to scratch off quite easily when I push with my nail from the edge.
    - Molotow one4all markers (also acryllic paint, waterbased) seems to have the same kind of result.
    At the moment I am not really able to see which of these is better scratch resistant, waterproof or best opaque, since they only had Montana grey and Molotow white and gray available. Both these brands grey and the white marker do seem to dissolve very slightly in water when I wet and rub it with my fingers (white Molotow seems to do this the most?). (There was also a molotow metallic black tester available, but that one isnt waterproof or scratch resistant at all, due to the way the metallic effect is achieved).
    - I was also interested in the Edding 750 + 751 permanent markers, but there were no testers available, so i dont know if they might work. Contrary to the Montana and Molotow these have a glossy finish instead of matte. I can't find anywhere what kind of paint and on what base this is, but they call it a laquer/polish marker. I thought this might be better but I also read reviews of this also not being scratch resistant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aUO1GfA9g8
    - Ive also tried Posca gouache paint markers. They are not opaque enough at all. and seem to scratch of easier. The seller told me it wouldnt be waterproof, but weirdly it doesnt budge at all when I wet and rub it with my finger.

If you have any tips, it would be very helpfull.
    Thanks in advance!

2. noahenholm

noahenholm Member

Here’s another one from Aristro, and this time, this set comes with 30 pieces of markers with 28 assorted colors plus an extra black and white paint pen. If you plan on doing a big project involving plenty of different dyes and pigments, you’ve found the right set. The pens house highly-pigmented ink that dries quickly and leaves a glossy finish on most surfaces.

3. noahenholm

noahenholm Member

Sharpie oil based paint markers is also a good choice. This marker set that comes with 5 different colors has an oil base. Because it is oil-based, it tends to have a thicker ink consistency that allows it to dispense colors more vividly.

4. varenhizzle

varenhizzle New Member

I know this is an old thread, but it showed up in Google for me.

For glass, the most permanent pen/marker in my experience is the "Staedtler Permanent Special 319". Just google that and you'll find it for sale in many places.

It's specifically marketed is being for opticians that need to label glass.