Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Picking colours for a "spotlight" effect?

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Loctorak, Dec 15, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Loctorak

Loctorak Member

A normal piece wth the fill and bg painted to look like a spotlight was being shone on it. I remember seeing a piece do it once and it was dope. Im trying to do one now, but i have no idea what values to choose. Like i figure id try with really dark grey values for the back, slightly less dark values for most of it then something coloured for the spotlight circle. But then... "dark bg + dark letters" and already this plan sounds like shite on paper.

I suspect the secret will lie in using a lot of blue values

Anyone have any pictures i could use for reference, or have done it and could just tell me what colours they used and how they managed to make the whole thing pop when its meant to look like half of its hiding in a shadow?

Cheers in advance

2. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

Started working on something sort of close this morning. My spotlight is more on the character. Have only done a very rough fill so far. Dont know if this will help you at all??

3. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

Sorry...I didnt attach it Lol

20191215_214256.jpg

4. Loctorak

Loctorak Member

Thanks man unfortunately its not quite what im looking for but i dont know how to describe it better lol. Ill try do an example so you have a better idea what im trying for

5. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

I did this one peace a while back something like that...
    Hopefully that kinda helps . I just google spotlights for refrence

20191216_064507.jpg

6. Loctorak

Loctorak Member

Defs getting warmer! The spotlight being a beam coming from off the page is spot on (no pun intended) But i remember seeing a sketch years ago that used a lot of really dark blues and stuff to mimic how, if you use a torch at night, whatever you have light on looks the colour it would look during the day, but everything else is dark blue, almost black. Even moreso because of the spotlight.

Naturally i want the background and the letters to all have enough contrast and pop to be easy to see so people can read it. Problem with having contrast there means i need values that are quite light - for there to be something to contrast with, but having those values there is going to ruin the look of it being in the shadows cause theyll be almost like highlights.

Im sure there's a shortcut related to what exact colours you use to make the effect but dont worry, ill do a few experiments and report back with my findings

7. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

I think I saw @keepsicks post something with a spotlight on his letters or may be I'm just that high again.

Yeah he might be able to throw tips at you

8. drapes1125

drapes1125 Elite Member

Loctorak-I just did a piece with spongebob on it last night.
    been bored as hell at the house filling fuckin notebooks with a bunch of writing and a couple of drawings.

9. secta

secta Member

10. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

Almost finished with half of my spotlighted canvas.

Screenshot_20191221-143743_Gallery.jpg

11. Matt Wrigh

Matt Wrigh Elite Member

Here is the finished/almost finished canvas!! Lol

20191221_203209.jpg

12. gripe

gripe Member

13. gripe

gripe Member

14. gripe

gripe Member