Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Street Art

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Oct 1, 2004.

Share This Page

1. dcite

dcite Elite Member

hey i love that chinese man!

thats really the only character i use anyway though, the rest are really letters and stuff, as you can see on the site. i wish i had better programs to use and stuff, but i dont.

2. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

eh im sure if u paid one of us we'd do it for u

3. Skore_One

Skore_One Elite Member

blah blah blaFUCK OFF POST MORE PICTURES

4. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

instead of bitching why dont u post someme n bruce been keepin this shit on lock man u can help out too

5. bruce

bruce Elite Member

heres an interview from woostercollective.com with blek le rat. one of the first pochoir artists in france.

Profile : blek le rat

1-blek.jpg
    russian soldier in Paris

Name: xavier Prou alias blek le rat

Where do you live?
    about 30 miles from Paris for 10 years but i used to live in the city of Paris until i was 41 years old.

How long have you been creating street art?
    Since 1981. At that time there was no graffiti in Paris except political graffiti. Also at that time it was really great to work because the cops did not care about you when you were making graffiti art. When they saw you they stopped their cars and asked you "what are you doing here, is it a political message ?" when the answer was" no it's only art" they would leave.Now it's another story with the cops.

2-blek.jpg
    stencil on a concrete bunker in Dieppe

What did you do last night?
    Same thing as with you Charles I'm also working on canvasses and I have made twenty five of them in the two last months and the last night i looked at them all together to get an idea of the finished result.

What do you currently have in your pockets?
    40 cents of euros

How did you get started in creating art for the street?
    The first time i saw graffiti art was in the summer of 1971 in NYC and it took me ten years to put graffiti in streets in action.In 1981 I was student in architecture at the school of Beaux- arts in Paris and I worked as a volunteer in the suburb of Paris to look after children during the vacation. We used to buy paint and brushes for them to paint the walls of the house where we stored our materials and the children every day used to paint those walls with their hands and brushes. The children gave me the idea to do the same on the walls of Paris.At that time there was only two or three places in Paris to find aerosol paint.Those cans were really expensive, about 20 US dollars in 1981 for one can ,you can imagine! The first time i made graffiti I tried to make an imitation of an American Graff the result was completly disappointing .I did not have the style neither the technique of the american artists .So i decided to use another technique to make graffiti : "the stencil".I knew that stencil was the technique used by the fascist groups during the second world war in Italy to promote Mussolini.I remember clearly in the early sixties having seen an almost erased portrait of Mussolini dated from the world war two that was made with stencil on the walls of Padova in Italy during a vacation with my parents.So the technique was found and now i had to go in the streets of Paris to make my own graffiti which was the most difficult to do for me. The first stencil i made was of some little rats running along the streets.Why rats?because rats are the only free animals living in cities, they are the last rebels of cities... I started to make figures in 1983 after having seen Hambleton's shadows in Paris.

What other street artists do you most admire and why?
    From the old school I really like Richard Hambleton .This American artist from NYC was the first street artist to export his work all over the world.It was really incredible to do that in the beginning of the 80's ! This guy put his shadows in every city in Europe and so you could find them in Paris, London ,Roma ,Berlin etc .I never met him but i bought one of his shadow paintings on paper in Christie's auction in NYC in 1990.

From the new school i sincerely like your work and your sense of art i think you are a very promissing artist not only in graffiti but in art in generally.

And as everybody I also like Banksy, he makes me fun and it's real good to get fun sometimes.

What's your favorite city, neighborhood, or block, to post and/or to see street art?
    NYC is my favourite place to see graffiti.This city holds 30 years of memories about graffiti for me.NYC is the major city in the world for this kind of expression of art.I also like very much Berlin in Germany because this city looks like San Francisco in the seventies it was a a place of freedom where the people could do what they want to do and where the authorities tried to understand and to help the underground culture. Theres so much graffiti in that city compared to Paris it's incredible.I don't know a place like that ,right now in the world .

Now I don't like Paris anymore for graffiti because there is too many people making graffiti. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not and most of them work only to get famous very quickly without having a real direction in their work.

What inspires you now?
    As i told you before i'm working now on canvasses with stencils .I'm 50 years old now and it's time for me now to leave a work not only in the streets but also painted on a medium other than walls.So i'm working now on every image which took an important place in my life during my last 40 years. The images which have punctuated my life, pictures of politics events, social events, music events and so forth...It's a big and a long work.

What are you currently working on? Can you give us a sneak peak?
    I'm currently and always working on the memory. The individual memory ,the memory of the places ,the memory of societies and so on. For exemple i worked two years ago in the city of Volubilis in Marocco which is a place built two thousands years ago by the Romans and i decided to put a picture of a little faun painted on paper with stencil in the ruins of Volubilis .The fawn was a little god visiting us during our dreams in the greek mythology.You can see the result on my web site.This work was incredible and i had the real impression when i did this work to reach eternity...
    Sneak peak? sorry i don't get this expression in english...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.woostercollective.com/guests/sofuzzy/3-blek.jpg
    le chateau de sybille

all images taken from Blek le Rat's site
    thank you so much to Blek for this interview... he is the Don.... respects in 3D from CUE

posted by Wooster on 11/4/2003 11:32:58 AM | link

6. seckzoner

seckzoner Elite Member

BLAH BLAH BLAH
    USE THRESHOLD IN PHOTOSHOP.

7. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

lol you should of let them press all the buttons

8. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

9. vegimite on toast

vegimite on toast Elite Member

Thats really cool gesus. Is it your original design? Done on computer?

10. FOEone

FOEone Elite Member

im in desperate need of some help. photoshop is completely fucked up on my computer and the error is completely irrepairable. it cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled either
    what im looking for is some other photo editing software that i can download or find a pirated copy of with the same threshold-type command that photoshop has, or that gives the same two-toned effect. if anyone knows of a program like this, let me know and i'll send you some stickers or something. thanks.

11. vegimite on toast

I have adobe 8.0 and thats wroks well but you say yours is fucked up i have another program that isn't that bad but isan't as good as photoshop. Interested?

12. FOEone

FOEone Elite Member

as long as its not adobe and has the treshold function, im definately interested.

13. vegimite on toast

i'm not sure if it has the treshold function i'll check it out and get back to you.

14. vegimite on toast

15. bruce

bruce Elite Member

threshold. wats that? is it anything like cutout? is it a filter? i dont understand all this fancy talk. <_<

o yeah gesus. nice stencil. try to make yor briges less apparent. and have fun with the cuts. :D

16. bruce

bruce Elite Member

Profile : Nano4814

One of the most popular artists from the Stencil Graffiti books was Nano4814. Originally from Vigo in Spain, I first met him in London where he had been working, doodling and creating some of the freshest graffiti art. We've kept in touch and he has sent in this most amazing photo report from Cape Verde. A Wooster exclusive. Here are some vitals too.

Nano4814 : The Vitals

Age?: 25
    Hometown? Vigo, northwestern coast of Spain
    Where do you now live? At the moment living in Vigo
    How long have you been creating street art?: Around 10 years... more or less
    What did you do last night? Spent all nigth in a plane flying back home from Cape Verde, Africa. That´s were my mother lives.
    What is your favorite thing to eat for dinner? Bogavante
    Who is your favorite fictional character?: At the moment could be Jimmy Corrigan, the smartest kid on earth
    What do you currently have in your pockets? Nothing. Allways take it all off my pokets when i get home
    If you were given "more time," what would you do with it? Learn how to manage my time a little bit better!!
    Who do you love?: Carlita, Anatolio & Telemoco and family, Huevo5050, The Special Children, 340, Tricky Dog...and Luisa "la Portera" (of course)

[Broken External Image]:http://www.woostercollective.com/guests/tristan/5a_nano1.jpg
    5a_nano2.jpg
    5a_nano3.jpg
    5a_nano4.jpg
    5a_nano5.jpg

All photos taken in Cape Verde except the last picture, 7Pulgadas, which was taken in Vigo - a collaboration with another artist called El Tiñas.

Nano4814 : A's to the Q's

Wooster: How did you get started in creating art for the street?
    Allways drawing since i was a little kid. Summer 91: Listening to Public Enemy and first experiments with a spray can. Got into skateboarding and started a zine. Travel. Picked up the spray paint again around 1994 and didn´t stop ever since...

Wooster: What other street artists do you most admire and why?
    Too many to mention...Anybody that makes me wanna insult them!!!

Wooster: What's your favorite city, neighborhood, or block, to post and/or to see street art?
    Every place has it´s own feeling...was impressed by NYC streets, it is allways a pleasure to go to Madrid, London has a lot to see as well but i think the best is Barcelona....best vibes, better weather and incredible personalities living in the streets over there!!

Wooster: What inspires you now?
    Actually, at the moment i am quite far from being inspired...im in a BIG crisis!! but usually i get inspiration from music and friends, the Special Children or just looking out my window...and, of course, truckloads of LSD.

Wooster: What are you currently working on? Can you give us a sneak peek?
    Limited edition, hand made Proyecto Merda decks. "City Lights" a series of light street signs i´ve been puting up in my city this summer, trying to find the time to a million other things and starting my last year in college.

posted by Wooster on 10/10/2003 11:56:04 AM |link

17. pocket_change

pocket_change Elite Member

18. pocket_change

19. pocket_change

20. pocket_change