Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Wheatpasting 'n Posters

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by DNA, Nov 19, 2004.

Share This Page

1. MASTE2

MASTE2 Member

Yeah I did a third test. Basically pretty thin, 3 table spoons flour to almost 2 and 1/2 cups of water. It stayed liquid in the fridge over night but by morning it was trash. I don't even bother washing that shit out it smells like semen and raw noodles. Maybe it's the sugar? Even though I only added like 1/2 teaspoon of it.

2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Member

does it matter what kind of paper you use?

3. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

A roll of poster paper works great. You don't want paper theats too heavy. Some say blank newspaper is the shit, but I never used it. Seems too thin to me.

Personally, I love a good homeade wheatepaste better than anything, but someone who's heavy on posters should always have some Teknabond wallpaper paste available cuzz if the urge hits and you don't have a couple hours to cook and cool a good paste, it's ready in minutes... ;)

4. elcs

elcs Elite Member

word cezr, I used a big sheet of cardstock once and learned the hardway. It got torn down within a few days. Like you said, paper that isnt so thick works a lot better. Just get a roll of normal paper shazam.

5. TESTER

TESTER Senior Member

i'm making some posers right now and taking a printmaking class at our cc , but i have a question. i havs some spay glue that i use for holding stencils, just spray it on lightly and then take it off and the stencil is dope. do u think it would work if applyed thickly and i used newspaper (for a poster)

6. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

Like elmers and Duro? I wouldn't trust it. I haven't tried them, but my understanding is that they're too weak. Mr. Breakfast has experimented with a secret industrial strenght spray adhesive for smaller posters, and is quite pleased with the results, but he wont tell me the name of the secret product. :(

All honesty, if you know how to tote your wheatepaste, it's the best thing to work with. It would be quicker to use for larger posters anyway.. If you want tips for carrying and quick application, holler at me. Wheatpasting is kinda my forte. ;)

7. TESTER

TESTER Senior Member

how much wheatpaste would i need for like a 18 X 24 poster and is the recipe on the first page good or is it bad

8. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

ive tried wheat pasting before. it didnt really work. I heard the ratio of 1 cup of flour to 4 cups of water, and i ended up mixing it with a wisk for a long ass time and i had a thing that was like a tub with a cap on the end with a built in roller, i thuought it would be the shit but it ended up leaking in the bag and fucking up all my spray, but im gonna do some more expirments later. and the paper didnt stick, i went back 2 hours later and it was gone. oh well.

9. Code_sucht

Code_sucht Banned

First off, I love this thread. Gets my mind cooking for experiments and ideas.

C3ZR, Could I possibly get you to PM me with Recipes and tips?
    I would really Appreciate it =]

I made some handmade/drawn/painted posters lastnight and I kind of don't want to waste them. But I suppose that comes with trial and error.

Nice Vid. Bigass Whale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxL_poxl34...related&search=

10. Code_sucht

Code_sucht Banned

11. Walters

Walters Senior Member

were the fuck do you get the ralyy beig paper from? cuzz all i have is normal asscomputer paper so i cant make huge wheatpaste ?
    and can you just answer with out being stupid please :)

12. anarchy

anarchy Elite Member

You're stupid.

13. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

Hobby store. Craft or poster paper. comes in a roll. If you want it as big as the side of your house, you just put large strips next to eachother.

I've been asked for paste recipes so many times.. I'll post it here and if anybody else asks me, I can just refer them back to this.

Wheatepaste cooking isn't an exact recipe, it's more just paying attention to what you're doing. I don't have exact measurements, because I don't use them. I just know what consistancy I want to keep it at from experience and practice, and I continually add to the pot as I cook to keep it right and make a big ass muthafockin batch. Afterall, leftovers can be used a week later if kept in the fridge. ;)

Here's how it's done.

Start with a couple cups of flour. I use plain ass white flour.
    Add water and mix it up so it's super runny.
    Cook it at a medium heat, maybe a touch under medium.
    CONTINUALLY STIR WITH WISK!!! Don't leave it for more than a minute without stirring. It will clump and burn..........
    Add a tablespoon of sugar. Don't overdue the sugar... Forreals.
    Not enough paste? add more flour.
    Too thick? Add more water. You'll probably end up adding a lot of water.
    IMPORTANT- keep your paste nice and runny. You want it to be about the same consistancy as tomato juice. Keep in mind, it's gonna thicken up on you, but you want to be able to put it in a water bottle, or plastic jug and when you get to the wall, you can just pop the top and splash it against the wall. ( actually, it shouldn't neccesarilly splash, but quick flicks or whips of the wrist will get it out onto the wall.)
    Remember. Practice makes perfect. I ruined my first 2 batches, and my next few were too thick, but usable.

If this is too difficult, go down to Home Depot and ask for Golden Harvest Teknabond Wallpaper adhesive. Just add water. It's like 3 bucks a box. I don't like it as much as homade paste personally, but Shepard Fairey (Obey Giant) uses it exclusively, and it's good to have a box on hand anyway in case you wanna get something up immediately and don't have a couple hours to cook and cool paste.

Tips on putting your shit up.
    -Scope out your spot. Consider the time of day, watch the traffic. Try and get an idea of how regularly that area gets a patrol car comin thru. Plan 2 escape routes.
    -don't be afraid to crumple up or fold your posters to conceal them. Wrinkles or creases come out when it's saturated with paste. I usualy roll my poster up and fold it in half, then put it under my sweatshirt.
    -Putting paste in plastic bottles makes it easy to carry and almost unneccecary to conceal, because it look like you're holding your drank. Especially if it''s a nightime mission. I like to have a 1 liter bottle on hand for 2 large posters.
    - A hand width sized paintbrush is best for poster sized posters. Wrap it in a loose plastic bag. You'll understand this part when you're done getting up. ;) Doing a big ass poster? A roller might be better. High up spot? Bring an extension pole. They're worth the 20 bucks you gotta shell out for them. They're a bitch to conceal tho....
    -Conceal yourself as well as possible, but don't dress like a gangbanger. I wear jock clothes or tourist clothes when I wanna get up. Sure, you feel like a punk, but it's a disquise and it really helps and if you wanna shake an ID while fleeing a scene, you don't get all butt hurt that you had to ditch your floppy hat or golf shirt. I can hit a busy intersection at 3 in the afternoon on a Saturday and bounce... in my geek clothes. Fade that shit...
    -_-
    -Bring a couple paper towels. It could get messy.
    - Don't forget this....----Lay down a coat of paste, apply your poster, THEN LAY A COAT OF PASTE OVER TOP OF POSTER!!!!. That's what traps it to the wall after drying. I've got posters up after a full year. Faded to shit, but they're still there.

Good luck suckas. ;)

14. Code_sucht

Code_sucht Banned

I would like to take this time to Thank C3ZR because we all know he did not have to take the time to make type all of that.

The tips and help are Greatly Appreciated, C3ZR...

Thank You :)

15. Code_sucht

Code_sucht Banned

Now that we got the know how...
    Lets post up our posters for wheatpasting!

Foot long clear/orange ruler for perspective

Here is some of my first ones...

Proudly All Handmade =]

Pay no mind to the top left corner one. I am not too stoked about its poor quality.
    Both the penguin and the other panda were cut out. So it is just a penguin, and no shitty speaker bubble. I am quite happy with the outcome of all of the pandas.

I made them all with Deco Color (black) Markers

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/theraphosa/DSCN2087.jpg

16. RIFR-RTSK LA

RIFR-RTSK LA Member

man i want to do some wheat pastings first what kind of paper? do you draw on it? or print?

17. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

those pandas are the friggen heat yo!!! much love. glad I was able to contribute a little knowledge to help get those up. You make me proud. PM me a flick when they're up. I don't wanna miss the street flicks.

Great work holmes! ;)

18. Code_sucht

Code_sucht Banned

I am not one to know much about wheat pasting but these are the short, easy steps I take to my wheatpasting posters.

I find a cheap, not too heavy paper for my drawing. (a hand made drawing in my case)

I draw a smaller version of that picture on a sheet of plexi glass, mount it somehow... And mount a flashlight behind it in a dark room. (You can adjust the size and angle of the image, by doing this)

I can make the pandas as large as I want.

I use paint markers ALWAYS for all of my stickers and posters. I use the Black Deco Color marker, Dries quickly, and works beautifully.

I then take my poster outside and lay it on a flat, non dirty surface and spray each side over with atleast two layers of clear coat. But let each layer dry before flipping it and applying the other side.

That is my toy/ghetto way of making my posters.

19. Tagger101

Tagger101 Senior Member

why do you wheat paste?!?!?
    why cant you just grab a can and go
    it looks multiple times better

20. RIFR-RTSK LA

RIFR-RTSK LA Member

yeah but its tight to try different things