Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Wood

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by LittleRed, Apr 13, 2019.

Share This Page

1. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Hi! I’m an artist who mostly works with illustration and sculpture. I have dabbled in graffiti but am certainly not a pro. However, I am very comfortable making stencils. My friend who I’m kind of into is not an artist. He sent me a picture of two large (pretty thick but not super) pieces of what appeared to be plywood. I want to help him out, but I’m not used to spray painting on wood and I know he doesn’t know anything about graffiti, murals, spray paint, primer, or anything on this subject. When painting a cavas or the back of a wood board I know the importance of gesso to make sure the wood doesn’t warp, the paint doesn’t flake, and the surface is smooth. Does that apply to spray paint as well? I was wondering if you guys could help me out and point me in the direction of good primers and spray paint for wood. Is there anything I can do to the wood before spray painting to make the finished piece look it’s best? Thank you!
    Little Red

2. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

There are no women on the internet.

3. Jeter

Jeter Member

Exactly! All these traps out here spraying...

4. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Cool thanks for you helpful comment :\

5. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

I mean it was a pretty simple question about picking the best primer but thanks for your help sweetie! Just wanted some advice so that I can make the most beautiful piece I can but being unhelpful because I’m a woman is cool too

6. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

girls are yucky!

7. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

I am just cracking up at these replies! If you guys are trying to insult me then you might not want to waste your time because I’m a queer artist who grew up in the south so you really can’t say anything I haven’t already heard. Is no one actually going to give me advice because I have a vagina and breasts? Really just wanted advice on primers

8. PeskDos

PeskDos Elite Member

where will this plywood be displayed? if outside probably some exterior paints to help from being weathered besides that cant help much cause all I do is trash shit anyway

9. PeskDos

PeskDos Elite Member

also should sand the wood so the paint can grip and maybe use some oil based varnish as a finish to protect the final piece

10. Jeter

Jeter Member

lol "Because I'm a woman" Nah love, I was just responding to Gum. Plus I don't work with wood sorry.

11. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

Lmao i was only joking...

12. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Or you could have given me some advice

13. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Sure sweetie

14. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Thank god someone is actually interested in helping someone! Nice people online do still exist! I think he wants it outside. Thank you for the advice on sanding. This may be a silly question, but are there any oil varnishes that don’t have a glossy finish? I think it would look a little cooler mate. I do appreciate someone being helpful.

15. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

Listen boys you can say you were just joking, but guess what, if you’re not going to give advice and are only going to crack jokes about gender you’re a little sexist. Maybe you’re not a raging sexist who doesn’t believe in suffrage, but you’re at least a passive sexist. My advice to you is: think about a woman you admire. Maybe research badass women from history because there are a lot and most are not in textbooks.
    The funny thing is though, to me, the best compliments come from people I don’t respect trying to tear me down. If someone with a lot of hate in their heart and brings nothing of interest to the table feels the need to insult me then I take it as a compliment because I don’t want to be like them. I got my burlesque name from a militant evangelical who told me I would never be happy because of my life choices and that I looked like the devil’s daughter. Now my stage name is Little Red and my gimmick is fire onstage in various ways. So nothing an internet troll can say is going to bother me because I don’t respect you enough to be hurt.

16. Jeter

Jeter Member

No one was trying to hurt you though, gum cracked a joke and you took it personally to the point you just called a female member of the forum a passive sexist towards women. Nice ;) .Also Matte Vanishes do exist, but I've only ever used them for canvass paintings, idk if they would work well on wood.

17. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

This is a true bad bitch boys take notes .
    And I don't mean that in a disrepectfull way .
    As for the wood tips . Like peskiboy said sand it if it is course or the cheap plywood . But if money ain't the problem buy the better plywood it's smooth to the touch . .Prime it with any of the primers by rusto or w.e bear makes good bucket paint two in one primer paint .
    If it's going to be out side deff use extrea paint . For the out side of houses and shit . The buckets that say barn paint or deck paint are very thick but expensive . And will last the longest

For paint cans get rustos. X2 cover or the white lable for cheap but still good paint . Or Like I said be for if money isn't an issue buy some paint off here . Some of the ironlaks fade very fast tho . I'm not sure if clear coat would help that but I know the sushi won't last more then a year in the sunlight .
    I have never used the low pressure mollotow so I can't say on that paint but the high pressure ones are fucking amazing for covering something fast or tags .

18. ElbowMacK187

ElbowMacK187 Elite Member

You could get a matt clear cote . Spray bomb should work two didn't see that part

Jeter loves working wood lmfaoo

Your not a girl too right bro ? I swear your bombing writer 12 but don't want no one to know

19. Jeter

Jeter Member

Yeah lol. I'm just a female writer that gets very passionate about wood ;)

20. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

GURRRLLL why couldn’t you have said that from the beginning? That’s advice I need and appreciate! Thank you for giving me solid knowledge that I can put towards my art! Also, it’s not that I took offense, it was more of an eye roll kinda thing because I needed help but I wasn’t getting any and that was annoying because I do have a time schedule. I’m about to move all the way across the country (NY->L.A.) and I want to leave my friend with a solid piece. I have seen sexist artists and I always get a good laugh from it because there have been SO MANY fabulous female and trans artists. But like I said, I have pretty thick skin when it comes to strangers because I’ve heard all the insults so now I just laugh and move on. I mean if Elvira were to laugh at me that would sting because she’s a hero of mine, but a stranger has no power over my feelings. Sorry for thinking your a man, I was just hoping a female artist would help out a fellow female artist. Whether you see it or not (I’m guessing you have because you would have to be locked in a room your entire life) some people do like to keep women and minorities down regardless of their field, but I’m not about to let anyone step on me. Also, sorry for the essay my brain has so many thoughts in it it’s hard for me to narrow them down lol